1752307 Members
5390 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

MSL2024 error of zoning in swktch?

Jorge HP
Advisor

MSL2024 error of zoning in swktch?

Hi people, my problem si that i have a MSL2024 with two fibre channel HBAs, connecting throught a fibre channel switch to diferent servers. In the propierties of the library inside data protector, it shows me like its have two paths, changer1001, and changer0001, and if I do "devbra –dev ", it shows me two exch, and two tapes....when it should show me only one of each....what i had do bad in the zonning configuration? its about multipath, what can i do?..thanks...
7 REPLIES 7
MWills
Valued Contributor

Re: MSL2024 error of zoning in swktch?

Two HBAs in the library? or 2 FC port is the drive?

Multipath is not supported for tape libraries.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00680316/c00680316.pdf

Go to page 3 in the pdf document

HP recommends that you cable Port A only and that you configure Port B for Auto Detect on Fibre
Speed and Port Type.

For Port A:
â ¢ Select Fibre Speed: Auto Detect, 1 Gb or 2 Gb
â ¢ Select Port Type: Fabric (N) if connecting to a fibre switch, or Loop (NL) if connecting directly to an
HBA or fibre hub.
â ¢ If you select Loop (NL), you must also set the Loop Mode: Soft, Hard or Hard Auto-Select
â ¢ If you select Hard, you must also set the ALPA address.
For Port B:
â ¢ Select Fibre Speed: Auto Detect
â ¢ Select Port Type: Auto Detect
If the flop doesn't fit... go allin!!!
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

You will probably have better luck posting this question to a DP forum. It looks like it is a DP configuration issue. With two HBA's in a single server connected to the ports on the library DP should recognize it as one library with two paths but I don't know how it works if two different servers can talk to the library.

If you are seeing the library twice on one server and your goal is to only see the library once on each server then you need to check the zoning on your switch and we would have to have details on what kind of switch you have to offer any suggestions on how to zone it.
Jorge HP
Advisor

Well, its a msl2024 with one drive, and its a two ports FC. There are two fibre channel switches, for redundancy. One port to the first switch, the other to the second one. All the ports of the switch in automatic, I didnt configure anything about it. Do you think that this is the problem?. About Data Protector, I think that everthing ist ok because we have suppport, and its all tested by them.
thanks
BR815824

Hi Guys,

I have a similar query. I have an MSA1000 with 2 x 2/8 switches for redundancy. Connected to this are 2 x DL380_G5 with dual port HBA (Windows 2003 SP2 Cluster) and an MSL2024.
Each server and Tape library are connected to each switch for redundancy, Active/Standby.
Is it a valid configuration to have the tape library connect to both switches?
It appear twice in device manager, because of the dual path. I should mention that MPIO 1.4 is also being used, but i do not think that is controlling the tape devices?
I am using Backup Exec 11d in a cluster configuration but am having problems with getting the library to commence any jobs.
If anybody has any adice it would be most welcome.

Many Thanks

Bill
MWills
Valued Contributor

It is simply that redundant switch is not supported for tape libraries. You need to use only one of the FC ports (port A) of the drive, and connect the drive to the active switch only.
If the flop doesn't fit... go allin!!!
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Dual porting the drives is not RECOMMENDED for the MSL2024 because it is an advanced configuration that requires software with support for multiple paths. It will work however when properly configured but customers need to work with their system integrator or ISV on how to configure it properly. Because it is a complex configuration we can't document all the different possible configurations and how to make it work.

HP can't help with the configuration of the library in a dual port configuration and we will ask that the library be reconfigured to single path if there are any communication problems so we can rule out configuration error.

For configuring with DP the DP support should have information about the proper way to configure drives with multiple paths and I know that it will work in at least the simple case with dual paths to a single host. I don't know that it has ever been tried with multiple hosts having access to the drive. DP may not support multiple paths with the configuration you have built.
Jorge HP
Advisor

Ok, thanks very much to all of you ;). Ill take care of this....