StoreEver Tape Storage
1752795 Members
5934 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL2024 tape drive intermittently offline

Phillip Templeton

MSL2024 tape drive intermittently offline

We are running DPM2007 on Server 2008. We are exeriencing problems with the tape library going off line after commensing backup to tape.
The tape drive disapears from device maanger.

The tapedrive has the latest firmware (4.7) and the server also has the latest driver (1.0.6.1)

When the device drops out, I returns after a hardware scan or reboot, yet once we attempt to write to tape, it fine for a while, then drops out.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL2024 tape drive intermittently offline

Hello,

do you set the removeable storage service to "disabled" oder "manual"?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Ganz
Trusted Contributor

Hello Phillip,

A few basic checks include ::

SCSI cabling for any damage (bent pins ) and the terminiator.
The service "Removable Storage" should be disabled when running ISV appliations.
Please visit the EBS compatibility matrix and ensure that the MSL is in a compatible environment. You may also refer to the quick specs of the server and check if the HBA (to which the MSL is connnected )is compatible for tape drive connect.
Phillip Templeton

Hi Guys,

Thank for your replies.

Server 2008 no longer uses the 'Removable storage service'.

Let me elaborate on our environment..

The tape library is fiber attached to our SAN fabric. The DPM server connects to the tape library via fiber HBA.

The tape drive has been working fine until recently. Since my last post, I have found out the server recently had a number of WSUS updates applied.. I will investigate this avenue. It looks like I'll start be rolling back the updates.
Phillip Templeton

Hi all,

I found the problem. The DPM Library Agent Service had been set to manually start, yet wasn't running. Started the service up and all is now well!

Thanks for your assistance.
Phillip Templeton

As above