1748169 Members
4075 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024

johnfcc

MSL2024

Can you help?

Have a DL380 G4 with 4G of RAM running windows 2003 mirrored OS and raid 5 with an onboard 6i controller and also Ultra320 controller installed. Have recently got a MSL2024 tape library with two 448 tape drives installed firmware is 3.30 for the library the drives are on D22W, downloaded using the HP tape library software.

I also have a SAN MSA1500 which I want to connect to the library via scsi cables, I├в ve connect a scsi from the 320 controller to the top drive then got a (male-in to male-out scsi cable) and connected to the second drive and then from the second drive to the MSA1500. I then ran the HP tape library software to check connectivity which was fine showed all drives. Thought all was great this is easy├в ┬ж I use Veritas backup exec 10.0 sp3 with agents installed created a new test backup job, tape loaded and started to run got to about 3000MG and failed reporting error log below:

Also the event log had loads of error Event 11 THE DRIVER DETECTED A CONTROLLER ERROR ON \DEVICE\HARDDRIVE0 I/O disk stating did refer to mircrosoft but this was of no help, disconnected the scsi to the San and works fine the tape drives are on IR 4 & 5 the San controller is on IR 5 would appreciate any help thanks..
8 REPLIES 8
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

You cannot attach to the same scsi bus more than one LTO3.
and absolutely not daisy chain a MSA1500 with a tape drive
Each of these scsi devices should have its own dedicated Scsi initiator.
johnfcc

Thanks for the information, new to san technology thought you could hang a tape drive of a san can put another u320 card in server so that each drive has its own controller would that work connected to the san??
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

John,
I do not want to give you a wrong answer, and as I'm not 100% sure how you hooked up the library , can you attach a diagram of your components with the connections?

and in fact, if you have a msl2024 with FC drive, you can hook them to the switch, if the MSL2024 is a scsi device, you should attach it to a dedicated HBA in your server.

in this way you will have the msa1500 connected via the FC HBA, and the MSL2024 connected via a SCSI HBA.

I think here you will found some good info if you want to learn:

read the "EBS design guide" and the "EBS example"
johnfcc

Hi sorry for the delay have attached a bitmap of our configuration.

The tape library does not have a FC only SCSI, so have put a controller into the MSA 1500 and then attached a SCSI cable from their to the bottom tape drive, the top tape drive has a connection to the server and then a loop between the two drives by SCSI.

I can put FC card into the server to connect to SAN but I don├в t see this helping looked at the EBS 123 site and it mentioned about attaching a tape library by FC and also SCSI but it was not covered in the document.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

no no, you cannot connect in this way.

The msl2024 should be attached to the server via scsi directly.
the alternative is to buy a Stand alone NSR and attach the library to the router, then to the SAN, or buy the FC LTO drives that can be hooked directly to the switch ports.

Connecting the msl2024 to the scsi port of the MSA is not supported and endup in scsi errors and other problems as you already got.

Marino
johnfcc

thanks for this have one more question which is can i attach directly from the san to the server onto another u320 giving me 2 u320 and then a loop scsi cable from the first tape drive to the second and then terminate??
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean with "attach directly form the san to the server......",

what you should do is to put a dedicated HBA in the server (better a dual port, one for each tape drive, even if with LTO2 you can daisy chain them, but it is not recommanded) then you connect each drive to the dedicated HBA port and then you terminate each drive with his own Terminator

once the host have the library hooked to him, you can access the library only from that host, so you need a backup application that will use that server to access the library and tapes, for sure this will be impacting performances because the data will flow over the LAN instead of through the SAN, exepted for that host.
johnfcc

sorry i did'nt explain it very well have attached a document with a diagram