1751858 Members
5809 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024

Geraerds Marcel

MSL2024

We've recently bought a MSL 2024 with Ultrium 920 drives. We need to connect one drive to Server 1 and the other drive to Server 2. We also bought 2 LSI SCSI controllers with support of LUN scanning. We've installed one tape-unit to server 1 and it works like a charm. Now I'm trying to install te second unit to server 2. It sees the tape-unit but not the Library / Medium Changer.

Library Hosted by Drive 2 ==> Which is the drive connected to server 1. When I change it to Drive 1, the medium changer is visible on Server 2 but no longer on server 1.

What am I forgetting / doing wrong.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanx,

Marcel
12 REPLIES 12
Geraerds Marcel

We are using Symantec Backup Exec 11d, Windows Server 2003 x32, all latest service packs!
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Eing? Where do you have seen that you can connect a SCSI library to two different SCSI controllers at the same time?
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

Thats not possible the only device that would see the media changer is the master drive thats it. You can probabli join the domain server that way you can backup both servers or use RMI to manually load tape cartridges.
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

Also you need to change the library mode to RANDOM or you will lost the comunication with the media changer at some point
Geraerds Marcel

The reseller told me it could be connected to 2 different servers (It's one library with 2 tape-drives (Ultrium 920)) if we used the same Backup-software on the two servers (which we are).
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

yes but only 1 server will be able to see the media changer let me do a reseach
Geraerds Marcel

Thanx Pablo.
I specifically asked for this kind of solution. The guaranteed me that the library and 2 drives could work simultaniously on the 2 different servers!
I'll contact them aswell in the morning. Hope it's small config, took me 3 weeks to find a time-window to install the HBA in the second server :-(
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Are you sure that the reseller did not mean that it can be used by 2 servers after you connect it to a NSR and access it though fiber channel?
That's the way a tape library is shared usually.
Geraerds Marcel

What's a NSR?