StoreEver Tape Storage
1752618 Members
4793 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL4048 and Windows 2008 64 bit

AJohn_2

MSL4048 and Windows 2008 64 bit

I have the following hardware setup and I am having difficulty with Windows and Data Protector 6.1 recognizing that a tape library is connected to this host.

MSL4048 with 2 FC Ultrium 960 drives
Fiber connected to ports (2) on a SAN switch
Server is a DL380 G5 server running Windows Server 2008 64 bit.
Ports with the tape drives and backup server are zoned so that they are all together in one zone.

Looking through the san switch interface shows all the devices i.e. tape drives and server fiber connection.

However when Windows comes up it does not recognize that there is any new hardware.

When an autoconfigure is run from within Data Protector it does not see any tape or library devices either.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am missing here or where my mistake might be?

Thanks

Abraham
5 REPLIES 5
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Can you check in the device manager for any tape or robotics related entries??

Also, can u verify if the zoning is done appropriately. To check you can remove them from the zone and check if they are seen.

Another important thing, how have you done the FC cabling on the tape drives?

Refer to this guide:-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00680316/c00680316.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Regards,
Sunny
AJohn_2

It did turn out to be a zoning issue and all is well now.

Thanks
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Thats great....

just wanted to highlight a point regarding fibre channel tape drives. I have often seen admins trying to use the second FC port on the tape drive for connection, redundancy etc etc.

The Port B is not to be used and is not tested, hence just use the PORT A.

Regards,
Sunny

p:S - Rate solutions with points. It Keeps us going.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

To correct a misstatement in this thread.

Port B is tested and using both ports A and B is supported and will work fine but only in limited configurations. HP recommends only using one port unless you really know what you are doing and want multi-path capability. You must be using software or an operating system that support multiple paths to tape devices. Data Protector is one application that supports multiple paths.

Having both ports connected to the same switch isn't very useful and mostly uses up switch ports but does provide a little protection from cable damage. The normal use is to connect port A to a primary SAN and port B to a secondary SAN. If a switch goes down in one SAN the library connection isn't lost.
AJohn_2

It turned out to be a zoning problem after all. Thank you very much for the responses.