StoreEver Tape Storage
1753307 Members
6250 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5000 & Initialization Screen

D. Mullen

MSL5000 & Initialization Screen

whenever our MSL5000s power-cycle they will not come online until we touch the GUI screen. This means if it was power cycled with the server (e.g., power bump, etc.) the server it is attached to has to be rebooted before it can recognize the tape device. Since we maintain many of our servers remotely this is difficult. Is there any way to configure the MSL5000 not to require the touch to its screen in order to completely power up and come online?
6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Marten
Advisor

Re: MSL5000 & Initialization Screen

Try this:

On the library's OCP, go to Menu, Edit Options (Library), and check the "Library remains offline after power up initialization" option.

Hope this helps
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

The MSL5000 was modified to circumvent this problem. There is an upgrade which can be ordered from HP services where they will modify the library. Here are the details.
Technical Implementation and Startup, Band 5AU (HA124A1) for the StorageWorks MSL5026 Tape Library and StorageWorks MSL5030 Tape Library
Technical Implementation and Startup, Band 5AW (HA124A1) for the StorageWorks MSL5052 Tape Library and StorageWorks MSL5060 Tape Library
CA998057
Advisor

WOW! I have had MSL5000's for years and complained loudly about a box obviously meant for a lights out datacenter requiring someone to come in and turn it on!!! I was told Overland heard the complaints and "fixed" it in the MSL6000 series but that I was just screwed until I bought another model...

This is a surprise and a bit annoying that the info was not made available to owners. I have support contracts on the boxes, they know I have one and where I am, a simple matter to contact and update that a remedial kit is available! They should have notified all owners they knew about. Even just trying e-mail would not have cost them very much at all!

Thank you for the info though!!! It is appreciated.
CA282983

I was just told that the upgrade will cost us some extra bucks. Anyone know how much?
CA998057
Advisor

I asked my local field engineer quite a while ago, but he has never gotten back to me... I too was wondering how much to fix what I feel is a design error in the first place... :(
CA1178070

I went through the same ordeal a couple years ago with the MSL5000 libraries. I have 12 of them and had to get the add-on card put in by a HP rep to fix the Auto power-on issue. I believe it cost us around $500 each, but that was a few years ago...