1752777 Members
5838 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5000 and SDLT320 firmware

Tony Martinac
Occasional Contributor

MSL5000 and SDLT320 firmware

I recently upgraded the MSL5000 and SDLT320 firmware using HP L&TT. The firmware upgrades appeared to go smoothly, but now Windows and my backup software cannot see the SDLT320. It can see the MSL5000 just fine, but not the tape drive. HP L&TT will not even recognize the drives (says drive cannot be located). Did I do something wrong with my firmware upgrade and what should be my next option?
5 REPLIES 5
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Re: MSL5000 and SDLT320 firmware

Hi Tony,

Check the library front panel for any error messages? If none, power cycle the library and then perform a hardware scan using Device Manager after the library becomes ready. Verify if Windows is able to detect the library and tape drive.

If the OS doesn├в t detect the tape drive in the library then, LTT will also fail to discover the tape drive hence the error ├в unable to find the tape drive├в in LTT. There shouldn├в t be any problems after updating the library FW.

Can you let us know about the earlier FW revision of the library and the flashed FW version (or attach all the EventLog.ltt files)?

If the issue persists, I would check the tape drive status in the library front panel and then, proceed in troubleshooting the detection issue. The below link would be helpful
http://h41206.www4.hp.com/webapps/IV3/node.iv;jsessionid=08812C05D18F72EA1470C403A19C596C.ubbnpwb2?locale=en_us&prodSeriesId=316040&node=prodITRC%2FUK_HS_IPG_PSG_Ktree_Homepage_EN_01_E%2FN1%7C3%7C2%7C1%7C9&prodTypeId=12169&serverId=1#src

In the worst case, downgrade the library back to the old one.

Regards,
Satya
LTT Team
Tony Martinac
Occasional Contributor

I think my problem is when I did the firmware upgrade through LTT, I did the 'check for updates on the web' button and it pulled the v095 firmware upgrade for my tape drive, which I believe is for standalone.

If I wanted to downgrade, don't I need a factory password for that?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

I assume that you've tried power cycling the MSL via the power switch on the back, rather than just powering off from the front panel...

That *might* make a difference...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Tony Martinac
Occasional Contributor

Here are the log files you requested. Hope this helps.
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Hi,

It looks like the FW flash didnt go through properly for the drive. LTT is unable to talk to the drive for some reason. Can you downgrade or reflash the FW?

Contact ltt.team@hp.com for a temporary factory password to enable you to downgrade. You may also contact Tech support for the password.

Regards,
Satya (LTT Team)