1753415 Members
7351 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5000 and hp-ux commands

CA1248875

MSL5000 and hp-ux commands

Hi all
I wanna know what are the hp-ux commands to make a backup with msl5000. In other terms, what are commands to load a media into the drive, to make a backup (or a recovery) and to unload the media from the drive. I got the following config
* msl 5060 with 2 LTO drives
* HP-UX 11.11
Systems and library are connected on a SAN

Thanx
6 REPLIES 6
CA1166660
Advisor

Re: MSL5000 and hp-ux commands

get LTT here:
http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools
this wonderful piece of software allows you to move media inside a library, among other useful operations (firmware update, tests, etc.)
Then you can simply write to your tape drives with a tar.

However the best solution is to get a backup software. HP Data Protector is a wonderful solution at an affordable price, but your hardware is compatible with more different products (Legato Networker, Veritas Netbackup, etc.).
With a backup software you can use a single tool to manage your library with drives and to schedule daily/weekly/monthly backup operations.

HTH
Claudio
CA1248875

Effectively, I'm using Data Protector with a windows cell manager and HP-UX clients on a SAN. My problem is that I got a SCSI error when backing up a hp-ux client (and only HP-UX client) The robot can't unload the cartidge from the drive. I've applied required patchs for the clients but still I got the same problem. So now I try to make back up with systems commands (without Data protector)
CA1166660
Advisor

I had a similar problem backing up a Tru64 client through a firewall. It turned out to be a problem with insufficient TCP/UDP ports opened for backup plu .
My personal advice is to test the robotics in order to understand if there's a real hardware problem.
If HW is OK check your Data Protector configuration.

HTH
Claudio
CA1248875

I've tested the solution with windows client and it works. There's no hardware problems. The only problem is with the hp-ux client. And there's no firewall installed.
CA1248875

Thx
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Samy,

> client (and only HP-UX client) The robot can't unload the cartidge from the drive. I've applied required patchs for the clients but still I got the same problem. So now I try to make back up with systems commands (without Data protector)

Have you tried working with the DP support folks on this issue?

Is the robot viewable by only the HP-UX host on the SAN, or by other hosts as well? It's possible that other OS platforms (like Windows and the integrated Removable Storage Manager) is also trying to manage the library.

Are there any error messages generated when the unload fails? Can you run HP Library & Tape Tools and collect a support ticket for the library?
The journey IS the reward.