StoreEver Tape Storage
1748265 Members
4003 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL5000 tape libraries drop off line

Paul Platts

MSL5000 tape libraries drop off line

This problem seems to occur on a number of installations, but seems to be worse on W2k than HP-UX.
The software is always Veritas NetBackup 4.5. The MSL libraries are all SAN connected, via E1200 routers with Ultrium1 tape drives. They are also connected via Brocade switches with the zoning mostly set as one server HBA to the router, but several servers connecting to the router via several individual zones.
From time to time - usually between 1 - 2 weeks the library & devices seem to dis-appear - Veritas status is drive down on one or more servers with a Veritas error of no storage unit available. The Veritas problem report may also show SCSI timeout errors - in W2K.
HP have done a number of things, upgrading the Brocade F/W, upgrading the E1200 router F/W, changing hardware etc. but the problem seems to persist, sometimes at a lower level. I have one customer on OmniBack who seems to get little trouble in a similar environment.
14 REPLIES 14
Jay Newman
Frequent Advisor

I had a small number of obstacles when I first set up our data center with an MSL5052, Win2K servers, and Veritas NetBackup DataCenter 4.5. Now, it is quite stable.
Here are the things we had to resolve:
- When we first upgraded to Win2K, we saw this kind of problem occur until we went into control panel, services, and disabled "Removable Storage".
- Another issue was ensuring that the speed and duplex for the storage routers, and for the library controller modules, are set the same as the ports on the router or switch that you are connected to (don't use auto detect anywhere.)
- Are you using your own network router or switch, or one that came with the configuration? If it is on the router shipped with the library, you might want to confirm if the router is part of the problem. We started off with an SMC Barricade unit, that could not last more than 2 weeks without needing a reboot. We moved our ethernet connections on to our Cisco switch and had no further problems.

HTH.
"Success is defined by getting up one more time than you fall down."
Mathias Zubek_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jay,

we have same trouble like you discribed in forum - i've tried out your tips - but one question, if I'm using 2 MSL5060 (stacked to one) how could i switch the lan interfaces to one switch ? what i've to do for in my networkconfiguration ?
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I have seen a similar (or the same) problem as you. I use the same library and router as you but connected to a Qlogic SanBox 2 switch and I uase OmniBack as backup software.
Sometimes I loose connection to the library and the backup crashes. The problem seems to be with the Storage Router, it seems to be "dead", I can't even ping on it or connect with a web browser. To get connection back I have to recycle power on the library. The only indication on the switch is a link reset on the port where the library is connected.

Where did you find firmware upgrade for the e1200 ?

Jay Newman
Frequent Advisor

Mathias,
Regarding the network configuration...
We have 1 Ethernet connection from each library controller (for a total of 3) plus 1 from each E1200 router (2 more). Instead of plugging these 5 connections into the hub provided by the vendor (which we found somewhat flaky - the hub, that is!) , we plugged each of the 5 Ethernet connections into ports on the Cisco switch we use to host all of our other data center equipment.
Once we resolved issues such as forcing speed and duplex, we have had no further issues.

Mathias Zubek_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jay,

thx for quick help - can you tell me wich ip-adress is assigned to the port of each library controler and how could i change them to my own subnet - or dosn't it matter ? By default i think each port do have the same adress ?! Yesterday I've tried out your advise, but today we have had a hang of library again, now i like to change the barricade switch against a hp switch - i hope it work ;-)

cu soon
Jay Newman
Frequent Advisor

On each library controller and on each E1200, you can set the I/P addresses to be static. We did so in order to make it easier for administration purposes (i.e., can set your web browser to a particular I/P when you want to configure the mapping on an E1200.)

To put them on their own subnet, or to determine what I/P addresses you can reserve, I imagine you will need some help or co-operation from your networking/ infrastructure staff.
You would want to involve someone who could configure the switch, since the switch ports also need to be configured for subnet, speed, and duplex.

Mathias Zubek_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jay,
the nsr net-configure option is no problem. my problem is the library interface - we have a master/slave configurtion, with frontpanel menu i'm able to set only one ip-address over whole box. I havn't found an opportunity to set an address individual per board (master and slave) - is there a sticky trick realisedwith envolved barricade box ?
cu soon
Jay Newman
Frequent Advisor

There is a serial port on each library controller. You should have been shipped a cable or 2 with the library, so you can connect that serial port to the serial port of a Windows box and run the MSL5000 util (also included with the library, on a CD.)
This utility allows you to configure each library module.
A different serial port on each E1200 can talk directly to a serial terminal, or a Windows box running hyperterminal. (Uses a different cable than the library controller ports.)
Can't remember the serial port settings off hand.

If you have HP support, and are not familiar with this, you might want to consider getting a rep in to help with this configuration. They generally have the cables, tools, and knowledge to get it done correctly in half the time you would spend tinkering.

Mathias Zubek_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jay,
I've found the follwing ip configuration inside of msl5060 master and slave controller boards:

master private (not changeable):
ip: 192.168.1.100
sub: 255.255.255.0
dg: 192.168.1.1

master ip address:
ip: 172.16.1.82
sub: 255.255.0.0
dg: 172.16.1.1

------------------------

slave private (not changeable):
ip: 192.168.1.100
sub: 255.255.255.0
dg: 192.168.1.1

slave ip address (!!!!!!):
ip: 255.255.0.0 (?)
sub: 172.16.1.1 (?)
dg: 0.0.0.0 (?)

Crazy - how it works ?

Please can you tell me, how you have configured your msl in your cisco-switch environment ?

cu
carsten