StoreEver Tape Storage
1752795 Members
5948 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSL5000 with SDLT320 works locally but Backup Exec and L&TT cannot access the tape drive

oldtrlrnr
Occasional Advisor

Re: MSL5000 with SDLT320 works locally but Backup Exec and L&TT cannot access the tape drive

I have an update on this problem.  The other day I noticed that we actually had the MSL5000 connected to the server via an Adaptec 39160 HBA, not via the onboard Smart Array 5i+ as I had assumed.  My bad.

Today I removed the Adaptec HBA and reconnected the tape library to the onboard SA5i+.  When I powered up the server (with the library already on), the SA5i+ reported only the tape drive on ID #1.  However, Device Manager showed both the library and the tape drive, and Backup Exec showed both. 

Testing showed that Backup Exec was still unable to get inventory from the library, and in L&TT the tape drive test failed the same as before.  Note that this time the L&TT discovery showed both the library and the tape drive, but with the tape drive shown separately, not indented under the library as before.

Another note:  In the last two L&TT test sessions, I have had the library cabled as follows:

Server --> Library controller --> Tape drive --> Terminator

Previously we had it cabled as follows:

Server --> Drive top --> Drive bottom --> Library controller --> Terminator

But I changed it to comply with the advice in this thread.

My next testing steps will be (1) try the previous cabling scheme; then (2) try the tape drive in another MSL5000 library.

At this point, I am thinking that the SCSI controller in the MSL5000 is the problem.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

Bob