1748185 Members
4586 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5000

Paul Barham_2
Occasional Advisor

MSL5000

Interested to find out what the new firmware 0512 addresses.
I have been working on a MSL5000 running 0507 firmware and SDLT drives with V085 firmware.
The problem is dropped leaders on these drives.
I can put a new drive in, usually both go around the same time and within 2 weeks I have to go back and replace the drives.
The customer swears blind he has all new tapes and those tapes that are removed are used in another MSL without any problem.
I have replaced the PSU and the hot plug backplane on spec and now have asked the customer to check all his tapes before loading them to ensure no broken leaders.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL5000

Paul:

Check here...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English+%28US%29&pnameOID=329886&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169&basePartNum=COL3566&locBasepartNum=co-34649-1&os=Cross+OS&tech=Firmware++Storage+Tape

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

You can also get firmware changes via LTT in the "Get files from web" dialog. Just highlight the product ID for the firmware revision you're interested in, and click on "details". It's not as pretty as the web HTML change list, but it's easy to get to.

Regarding your problem, I'm not aware of any fixes in library firmware for dropped learders. Do you have LTT support tickets for any of the drives that failed for this problem? A ticket for the library would be good as well.

Have you inspected the leader pins and cases closely on the tapes that the leaders were dropped on? I'd suggest setting any tapes that this problem occurs on aside, just to make sure there aren't a few marginal tapes causing the problem.
The journey IS the reward.
Paul Barham_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the prompt responses.
The tapes that are recovered from the drive
after the leaders are re-attached (using gloves) are tested in another MSL5000 and no
re-occurrence so far has occurred.
Today I ran several of the suspect tapes on the Drice Cycle test and at last count
the Drive load was at 80 without incident.
On a similar note I would like to order new leaders for SDLT drives. Can someone advise the spare part number for these?