StoreEver Tape Storage
1753816 Members
8144 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5026 Single SDLT drive

CA1339432

MSL5026 Single SDLT drive

I have a single SDLT drive MSL5026 which has been working for some time. It has recently showed as the drive is Off-Line. I am running Backup Exec v8.6. I have also installed and run the L&TT version 3.5 sr4. When using the backup software and the L&TT the tape library and drive are not found. When I reboot the server (running Win 2000 server) the SCSI device scan finds the library so I figured that the SCSI cable must be okay. I can not get the library to recognize on the server's device list. Do I need to remove the library from Backup Exec and re-add the device in Windows and then re-add the device into Backup Exec? I really could use some help.
4 REPLIES 4
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL5026 Single SDLT drive

I would suggest to check cables first, and try to connect only the drive to the server, after a reboot, check if the drive, alone appear.
If the drive do not appear in device manager, it would be hard to make it appear in your backup application
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA1339432

I reseated the SCSI cable and also changed the SCSI ID. When I restarted the server - the device ID was recognized as before (in the SCSI BIOS - but with the new ID) and upon OS boot - the OS identified a new device and installed the library and drive. The device showed up in Device Manager - both as the robotic library and as the drive inside the library. I was able to run the LTT and find the device and test the device and all worked fine. I ran tests for the robotic device and for seeking and manipulating the tapes. I restarted the server and now lost connection to the device again. The device manager does not see the device(s) again and when I run the LTT and scan for devices I do not see the drive or any tape devices at all. I don't see how this could possibly be the SCSI cable anymore as changing the device ID worked at least temporarily. Any other ideas? I am really desperate at this point to make this device work. Please help!!
CA1339432

Also - when the server is booted - a service error pops up. Checking the System logs - the following errors appear:

Source: Cpq32fs2
Event ID: 5
Description: A Parity error was detected on \Device\Scsi\Cpq32fs22

Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7026
Description: The following Boot-start or System-start driver(s) failed to load: dlltape-VRTS

I checked these event ID's on the MS web site and could not find any solutions that fit my circumstance.
CA1339432

I replaced the SCSI cable with a new cable and the error seems to have gone away. The device is found again by the OS. I'm unclear how this cable could have been the problem if the BIOS was seeing the library and drive during boot, but OS was not after boot, but I'm also not going to argue with results. Thanks for your input.