4751 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL5026 StorageWorks 5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jerry_88

MSL5026 StorageWorks 5000

We have been using Backup Exec 9.1 with this drive. We unfortunatly have had nothing but problems at the site. What software does Hp recommend with this drive

thanks
Jerry
9 REPLIES 9
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Backup exec is a supported backup application. You can see all the tested/supported applications in the EBS compatability matrix at (http://www.hp.com/go/ebs).

Is this a SCSI connected or SAN connected library?

Why types of error messages are you getting?

Do you have DLT or SDLT tape drives?
The journey IS the reward.
Jerry_88

It is scsi connected. It is dlt drives. It is with a Compaq scsi 3 cd 64bit. Problems range from does catalog a tape/long inventory times/fail backing up remote machines.

We we run the hp tests on it. The drive always tests fine.

thanks

Jerry
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

If you haven't already, can you install HP Library & Tape Tools (http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools), and then generate a support ticket for the library (and embedded drives)? The ticket should be small enough to post here, or you can email it to ltt_team@hp.com.
Jerry_88

I am using a 64 bit controller in a 32bit slot. The last tech I had talk to said it would be a peformance hit but not that big. Any thoughts

thanks
Jerry
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The DLT8K drives have a maximum throughput of about 12MB/sec (compressing 2:1), and the drive burst rates is 20MB/sec, so they aren't very demanding as far as throughput.

What HBA are you using and how many channels does it have?

Because the DLT drives only run 20MB/Sec burst rate, they don't use bus bandwidth very effectively, so they are best if you put them on separate busses (assuming you have more than one drive).

If if you can generate a support ticket, I can look to see if the drives are having any errors causing backup failures. Also, if you could provide some logs from the backup app, and the system event log messages for any errors, that would help in troubleshooting the cause (or causes) of your problems.
Jerry_88

ok I will do that when I am at the site this week

thanks
Jerry
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

If it's easier, you can email your logs to ltt_team@hp.com, and mention this post (and they'll get forwarded to me).
Jerry_88

Dave the logs and ticket have been set to the email address you have addressed in the last post
thanks
jerry
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

The backup solution of HP is DataProtector (http://www.hp.com/dataprotector). It works excellent with the MSL5026 library.

Kurt