1751974 Members
4646 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5026SL

Andy Cooper_2

MSL5026SL

I have got 2 MSL5026SL tape libries (with 2* SDLT160/320 drives in each) plugged into a 64-BIT/66MHZ 2-CHAN ULTRA3 SCSI - Host Adapter. This is attached to a Compaq DL380 G2 server.

The server OS is Windows 2000 server SP3, the backup software is Arcserve 2000.

The installed SDLT driver is the Compaq SDLT320 (160/320) drive V 1.5.0.0 (Firmware version on drives is 3333)

The installed library driver is the Compaq Storage Works MSL5000 Series mini-library Medium Changer driver (V 1.0.2.0). Firmware on library is 4.08

I am experiencing a number of problems:

1) with the MSL5000 library driver installed Arcserve does not show any of the library slots, just the 2 tape drives (I have run the device config wizard). If you disable this device in device manager, restart the Arcserve tape engine, Arcserve picks up the 2 MSL5026 libraries and displays the library slots.

This means however that we are not using the latest library driver - this may be linked to a number of problems we are getting.

2) We are getting some media problems. We are using new Compaq SDLT tapes. Some of the tapes fail to format as part of the job, they show up as 'unreadable meadia' and this causes the job to cancel.

3) We are getting a lot of SCSI errors which are causing the jobs to fail

Many thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL5026SL

Andy,
1. this is correct. Arcserve should load its driver to be able to manage robot/slots. If w2k has its own driver loaded then Arcserve can not load its driver because device is locked;
2 and 3. Please check SCSI bus. It should be terminated from both ends with LVD terminator, and correct U3 cable should be used. Try LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
Eugeny
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

I've noticed that if the Win2k tape management software is present, it will interfere with backup software using the robotics. So, if you've got the win2k software loaded, remove it. I'm not sure about my memory on this, but I think it's called Media Operations or something like that.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Andy Cooper_2

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Will give it a go.