108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL5030 Cabling

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lumar Regalado
Frequent Advisor

MSL5030 Cabling

I have a MSL5030 library with one driver and e1200 router connected to a SAN Switch via a fibre channel cable. Can somebody of you validate the cabling I made?
13 REPLIES 13
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

HI,
Had a look at your cabling diagram but i think there is some problem in that.

1. No need to (Refer blue line in your diag)connect drive to scsi connector on the SCSI controller. The SCSI port downmost is connected to SCSI controller of the MSL3060. I think since you have connected this to fibre switch this is not required and instead put terminator there.
2. I assume all server will access this Library thr' Fibre Switch.

Hope it works after that.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Forgot one more thing.

You can remove terminator connected (refer no. 2 in your diag ) and same you can use on drive's port (the one pointed by blue line).

All the best.
Regards,
Lumar Regalado
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. I'm going to try it. I'll notify if I have success.
Lumar Regalado
Frequent Advisor

One thing more ...
I have a Windows 2000 Server connected by a Fiber Card to the SAN Switch. How do I know if the server "see" the MSL5030?
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Not much familiar with w2003 but you should be able to see it thr' device manager if you have configured Fibre Adapter driver properly.

All the best.
Regards,
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Lumar, I think the previous answer get some confusion,

Have a look at the connection explained in the manual, or have a look at this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c00023651

Then to see the library in your os, you have to configure your router in order to make drive and robotic "presented" to your host, identified by his wwn.

You also need to have correct zoning in the switch if Zoning is used.

I would suggest to have a look at the manual and to the other docs of this site

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Resource.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169
Lumar Regalado
Frequent Advisor

Hi, Marino:

I was unable to see the web pages you told me. But in the manuals there are only diagrams of MSL5030 with two drives, what I have is a MSL5030 with one drive and an e1200 router.
HP sent to me only 2 SCSI cables and 1 terminator. I want to be sure if I need another terminator to properly end the SCSI Bus.
Thanks for your response.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Well, the diagram you attached is correct, for a one drive config, you need two scsi cable and one terminator.
the scsi cable come from the FC-router to the drive, the second scsi cable come form the drive and go to the controller, the second connector of the controller have to be terminated with the Terminator.
the second port of the FC-Router do not need to be terminated as you have no cable connected to it.
marino
Lumar Regalado
Frequent Advisor

Hi, Marino.
One thing more. I got two Alpha servers and an EVA5000 attached to the FC switch. But none of servers is seeing the library. Do you know what can I do in order the servers can see the library?
Thanks.