4165 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL5030 FC & Linux

Pedro d'Alte
Advisor

MSL5030 FC & Linux

Hi all.

I have two HP Proliant ML580 connected to an MSA1000 storage and MSL5030 through fibre channel (using MSA1000's FC switch).The OS is RedHat Advanced Server 2.1.

The problem is that if I "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" I can see the disk storage, but I only see the MSL's changer, not the drive. If I change the changer ID to 1 and the tape ID to 0 (zero), I see the tape and not the changer.

Obviously, what's happening is that when I see the changer, I can move the tapes but I can't backup anything, and when I see the drive, I can backup to the tape but not move the tapes.

The MSL and drive firmware are already on their latest version and the disk storage works fine. The same happens on both servers.

Does anyone have a clue of what could be wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Pedro.
7 REPLIES 7
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I think it is the configuration of the Storage Router in the library. Change the default map from Indexed to Auto assigned.
Pedro d'Alte
Advisor

The default map from is already Auto assigned.
I think I've already tryed all possible configurations on the Router...
I have also a Windows 2000 Server connected to the Fibre Channel switch, and I can see the Changer and the DLT there, so, I don't think it is a problem on the MDR configuration.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Whisc HBA do you use on the Linux server. I remember some HBAs could be configured to see only LUN 0.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Hi, I had a similar problem with Solaris and Netbackup

It turned out that the settings should be like this: (usually you put the changer first, but this didn't work)

Lun Protocol Bus Type Status Device Specific Address
0 AF 0 CTLR UP Lun= 0
1 SCSI 0 CHGR UP Target= 0 Lun= 0
2 SCSI 0 TAPE UP Target= 1 Lun= 0
3 SCSI 0 TAPE UP Target= 2 Lun= 0

Just give it a try

Leon

Hello Pedro, I have a very similar scenario: "I have two HP Proliant ML580 connected to an MSA1000 storage and MSL5030 through fibre channel (using MSA1000's FC switch).The OS is RedHat Advanced Server 2.1.

The problem is that if I "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" I can see the disk storage, but I only see the MSL's changer, not the drive. If I change the changer ID to 1 and the tape ID to 0 (zero), I see the tape and not the changer..." this the same, now I followed the recommendation of Leon Rosier but it did'nt work, have you solved this issue??? Any information can be useful. Thanks.
Roberto Espinoza
roberto.espinoza@hp.com

Pier Bruno

On linux you need to rescan the bus scsi.
See the section device mapping on
http://www.linuxhq.com/ldp/howto/SCSI-Programming-HOWTO.html
Pedro d'Alte
Advisor

Hi everyone.
I found the solution to this problem.
Anyone with the same symptoms should upgrade to the latest RedHat AS 2.1 Kernel.
I installed the kernel-smp-2.4.9-e.27 and afterwards I could already see the changer and the tape simultaneously. The performance problems were also solved with the upgrade, since my 80GB backup that was taking around 6 hours, is now taking only one.

Pedro d'Alte