5169 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5052 hardware data compression

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Wilber

MSL5052 hardware data compression

Does the MSL5052 tape library support hardware data compression? If so, is there a library setting that enables it? It doesn't seem like our MSL5052 is doing a hardware data compression.

Marty
3 REPLIES 3
Magnus Frick
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: MSL5052 hardware data compression

It is not the library itself but whether your drives support hardware compression or not.
Then it depends on which devicefile you use in unix, if you should get compression or not.
Check the manual for the drives to see if they support hw compression then get back with your backup software and OS .

Regards,

Magnus
Gerald Virden
Advisor

It is true that the driver determines hardware compression but there is a view on the tape library itself that shows compression. On the touch screen, press Status - Drive # - Physical Drive Status.
There is a line which shows Compression. I have a four drive unit and it shows compression on for all of them. I have not found anything in the manual of what controls this entry. I guess it is possible that the library could know which driver the server is using????
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
Drives support compression.

the hardware compression is on if a bit is set via scsi code page, this bit come from the server who can set or reset the bit according with what decide your application or the device file used in Unix.
By default this bit is set on and it can be overrided by OS.
Library could recognize the status of this bit and diplay it