7117 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5060 not seen as device from server - LTOs are seen

Martin Kerr
Occasional Advisor

MSL5060 not seen as device from server - LTOs are seen

Hi,

I have installed an MSL5060 with 2 * LTO drives onto the back of an MSA1000 switch.

I have two zones, a backup zone, and a fileserver zone.

the backup zone consists of the Backup Server HBA port, and the MSL5060 port.

the fileserver zone consists of the MSA1000 arrays, and two clustered win2003 nodes.

in device manager, NetBackup and LTT, the backup server can see the two LTOs as tape devices in the MSL, but cannot see the Library/Robot as a Device.

one SCSI on the library has one drive, then termination.

the other SCSI channel on the library has the other drive, then the NSR, then termination.

latest firmwares are on all devices.
lates tapedrivers and LTT are on the backup server.

any ideas as to where my autoloader is?

thanks,

martin.
The NSR is chained off the back of

5 REPLIES 5
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSL5060 not seen as device from server - LTOs are seen

Make shure you have followed the installation poster that came with the NSR for absolutly correct cabling...

I have seen errors like drives dissapearing because of the FW mismatch (5.6.06 NSW and lower than FW33 on LTO's) but this should not be the case here because you have everything at latest... Check the mapping on NSR and change SCSI adresses on devices...move robotics to SCSI ID 1 and drives to higher models. There is an old advisory (no idea on numbers or title) stating that NSR should have the lowes SCSI address....I do not agree with this but....

BR
B.
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Martin Kerr
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Bostjan ...

I believe from looking at this yesterday that the SCSI IDs are set to best practice [as per your info], I'm not at the site at the moment, I shall check this afternoon.

This MSL/NSR has come from a live environment, and my only other thoughts are that some-setting-or-other hanging on from it's old environment in the NSR is making it invisible to the new infrastructure.

i'll check your advice and post my findings tomorrow.

cheers.
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Try resseting the NSR to the default walues...connect with the serial cable and when booting wait for 3 dots and start hitting space....you should enter a "hidden menu" aloving you to do some even not so nice things....resetting and stuff..
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Martin,

First of all ccheck the sCSI cabling of course.

Then delete the mapping already present in the NSR web based GUI and fill the map afterwards again.

Does the robot arm shows up here? Then your Windows servers must be able to detect it too. I guess that there are no unknown devices in the device manager.

best regards,
Kurt
Martin Kerr
Occasional Advisor

... on further examination i found that the NSR f/w was only at 5.3, so i upped that and set it's discovery to auto [as a previous engineer had set to manual].

also [hadn't read that final post by Kurt until a minute ago] I deleted the port mappings - may have been hanging over from the system the MSL was previously on...

rebooted the library... and as if by magic, windows et al now see the libary... :-)

cheers folks,

Martin.