108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6000 IP Addressing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Theo Papalimperis
Occasional Contributor

MSL6000 IP Addressing

I have 2 MSL6000's with PTM. Trying to change IP address to 192.168.x.x but it won't allow it becasue the wan/lan router is using that address range as it's "private" ip addresses. How do I cange it's "private" IP adress range?
8 REPLIES 8
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSL6000 IP Addressing

You know you can manually set the addresses on the Master Library, you can also perform subnetting to grab a small portion of the network and use it for the MSL library, this can be achieved by changing the IP mask on the MSL library, to other than 255.255.0.0

That will be in Menu > Network > IP address or IP Mask.
If the library is passwork protected, the default should be 5566.
Theo Papalimperis
Occasional Contributor

Wei. Unfortunately it won't allow me to use anything in the 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 range, which is what I need.
Mike Cross
Advisor

Why do you need to change this address??? The IP 192.168.X.X is coded so the Library can communicate with the Router. If you change this the Library will no longer communicate to the router. And you won't be able to communicate with the Library over the network....
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

The docs are a bit 'vague' around the private IP addresses - but it looks like you should be able to change this setting using WEBTLC (browser utility - setup/library page), or by using the MSL6000util utility via the serial connector on the controller card. Insructions on how to configure and use the MSL6000util utility are in the user/installation guide.

You can only do this on the master library.
Theo Papalimperis
Occasional Contributor

Mike. I need to give the library an address of 192.168.1.80 so I can talk to it from the network.
Mike Cross
Advisor

Theo;

As suggested you should be able to set network config via the front panel. This is
covered in the user guide as well as the PTM Guide Starting on Page 37 Configuring Network. Ir walks you throgh the steps. If you don't have this manual you should be able to get it on hp.com under storage msl6000
Theo Papalimperis
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your persistance Mike, but I know how to change the IP address via front panel and via MSL util. My problem is, it won't allow me to change it to the address I want. The address I want is 192.168.1.80, but it won't allow addresses in the range of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 (such is the error that appears when trying to change).

This IP address range is in use by it's wan/lan router and I can't change that range of addresses. There is no option to change that range of addresses via the front panel. You can only see this address range if you use the MSL utility - under the "Private IP Adresses" tab - and the address is greyed out so it won't allow change.

Thanks again for your help.
Clayton Walter
Advisor
Solution

I was told by HP that those internal routers are not user configurable. We've tried to access the configuration for the routers as well with no luck. I think your best bet may be to try a different IP address outside that segment.