5969 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSL6000 Power/Boot Issue?

JWatson
Occasional Visitor

MSL6000 Power/Boot Issue?

Hi Everyone,

I have a very troubling issue at hand. My company's only backup tape library, a MSL6000,  went offline today. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the fact it's a leap year....but the Tape library Screen now flashes white briefly, then goes black, flashes white, then goes black. The Power Supply fan also, starts for 2 seconds, then stops, starts for 2 seconds, then stops.

I've checked the tape drives and they're empty, no jams whatsoever. I've even unplugged the unit for several hours, hoping it would clear up the issue after plugging it back in, but nothing.

I'm not sure what the issue is, I assuming it's a bad power supply. I just have no idea what happened before today, as it was working just fine. Now, it's stuck in this endless loop of not booting to anything.

Information about Tape Library

• Model: StorageWorks MSL6000
  • Serial Number: USX64000DM
  • Firmware revision 5.20
  • Boot code revision 3
  • Hardware Revision 4

If it is a bad power supply, can I buy a replacement? If it's not a bad power supply....is my company's SOL?

Thanks for your help,

JWatson

Update:

I added a picture of the power supply and it seems that it cannot be removed as it's not hot-swapable, would I have to change out the entire unit?!

Update 2:

I've taken an even more detailed look at the issue. Whenever the screen flashes white, the power supply fan spins briefly, and the scanner of tapes flashes it's red scanning light. I'm not even sure if the power supply is bad at this point or someting else. Also, the little downward facing triangle indicator isn't turning on at all. When I first noticed this issue, the indicator was flashing red. Ever since I turned off the library, the indicator hasn't turned on again...

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The only spare part for this model is the complete chassis.

The reason for the problem could be the power supply, the controller or another electronic part.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JWatson
Occasional Visitor

@Torsten. wrote:

The only spare part for this model is the complete chassis.

The reason for the problem could be the power supply, the controller or another electronic part.

Yikes! The complete chassis has to be replaced?

Does that come with a new power supply and controller?

Also how much does one replacement chassis cost?

Ameya_Bapat
Occasional Visitor

Chassis does include Power Supply and Library controller it does not include Magazines, Drives & optional FC controller.
For cost best would be to contact HP support.