1752577 Members
3821 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6000 Zoning

Flares2

MSL6000 Zoning

I'm new to HP Zoning and I just want to make sure I'm doing this right before going ahead and altering the Fabric switch that controls just about every network resource.
Currently we have an MSA SAN that three servers use for storage and an EMC SAN that five servers use for storage, also an MSL 6000 tape library that one servers uses for Backup Exec.
Primarily we want to Zone the Media Server and Tape Library so no other devices can communicate with them. I tested this the other day on the failover creating such a zone, but Exchange somehow lost its connection to the MSA and email capabilities went down.
Do I need to create other zones for the MSA and EMC?
Also, unless I'm missing something, is Zoning really as easy as creating the zone and alias then just dropping the WWNs into them. For some reason I feel like I'm missing a step.
Any help is appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
yes the MSA and EMC storages should be zoned separately
after the wwn mapping to the alias you should create the zone and add members into it
and then add the new zones to the current zone set and then save the new cfg and then enable it
the pain is one part of the reality
Flares2

Thanks IBaltay. Justy so I'm clear, do I assign each individual WWN to an Alias, for example, the Fileserver and Exchange are on the MSA. Do I make an Alias for each server and the MSA, then put them all into the same Zone?
Also, you stated to add these Zones to the existing Zone Set. Problem is there is no existing zone set. We are a relatively new company and I'm coming to find the consultants/contractors that were hired for intitial construction seemed to have just plugged in the switches and said, "Well connectivity is up." Piece by piece I'm putting actual configs on all switches, routers, etc. So if there is no zone set, do I need to create one "Primary Zone" and place these three zones within it?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

yes if there is no zoning you have to do it from the scratch. If you have redundant switches/fabrics you should cable one hba wwn to the alias of the first fabric and the second hba wwn to the second fabric. The same with the storages - half of the front ports to one fabric and the second half to the second fabric. Then create the zones and then add the created zones to the zone config (zone set) then save it and then enable it. But be careful, because as soon as you enable the zone cfg, all hosts/storages/libs should be zoned correctly because otherwise (if something is not zoned) it will see/access nothing in the fabrics
the pain is one part of the reality
Flares2

Thanks IBaltay.