New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6000 and EVA4000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arman Obosyan
Frequent Advisor

MSL6000 and EVA4000

We have MSL6000
Is it possible somehow team-work of the MSL6000 and EVA4000 If yes where can I read any details about it.
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by "team-work"?

That's a very vague term as there are several ways to configure a tape library to backup an EVA.

Are you getting Business Copy?

What Backup Software are you getting?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Arman Obosyan
Frequent Advisor

business copy....

All server must be connected to EVA through FC. Exchange Mail Store, SQL Data Base, File Server Data all must retain on EVA Storage.

...finally I need to backup all on MSL6000

What is right way to backup such configuration?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Still need to know what backup software you will be using and/or what options you have... unless this is the issue and you are not sure which to get.

Is the environment all Windows Based?

"All server must be connected to EVA through FC. Exchange Mail Store, SQL Data Base, File Server Data all must retain on EVA Storage."

Not a problem. The MSL6000 has a SCSI-to-Fibre router which allows you to present your Tape Drives and Robotic Controller on the SAN to ALL or SOME of your hosts.

"What is right way to backup such configuration?"

Since you have an HP environment, I would look at Data Protector 5.5 for backup software. Perhaps with the ZDB options for SQL and Exchange and maybe the Open File or Online Extensions for your file server.

DP would allow you to configure your agents so that they have direct access to the tape drives, thus decreasing the total amount of bandwidth used(LAN) and decreasing the total backup time for each server.

Veritas Netbackup would work just as well, and I am sure there are other packages that would work too. I push DP in HP environments since it is easier to have to deal with only 1 vendor, rather than 600 (with a mixed environment).

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Arman Obosyan
Frequent Advisor

"Is the environment all Windows Based?"
Its mix environment Windows, Linux, Solaris

What about software?
We planning to use Open View, maybe DP its right way?

Or Symantec NetbackUP its better than DP ?

witch software will work better with EVA?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

"We planning to use Open View, maybe DP its right way?"

Data Protector 5.5 would probaby integrate well into your environment. It works with all your OS's and has integration with the EVA that allow for different options.

"Or Symantec NetbackUP its better than DP?"

I am not sure if I would say NetbackUP is any better or not. Every situation is different and may require different options that may not be obtained by one package vs. another. You need to compare features, price, implementation costs, etc to know if another product is better for "you". They pretty much do and allow for the same thing. The backing up of data.

"witch software will work better with EVA?"

I would say that DP has the advantage here since it is an HP product offering and can utilize SMI-S and Business Copy and integrate those components with many different applications (exchange, SQL, Oracle, etc.)

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Sacrificer

I have EVA4000, my MS Windows Cluster 2003 Ent Ed. Consists from 2 HP Proliant BL20G3 Blade Servers... I'm Create 4 Virtual Drives... Q - Quorum (1Gb), S - Services (1Gb) for print spooler WINS & DHCP, R - EXCHANGE (100Gb) for Exchange 2003 Ent. Ed & P - FILES (170Gb) for users folders... All VDRV is VRAID5... My problem in the following:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ESE
Event Category: Performance
Event ID: 509
Date: 27.06.2006
Time: 0:59:09
User: N/A
Computer: D2
Description:
Information Store (5588) 2nd Storage Group: A request to read from the file "R:\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA2\Department - Production.edb" at offset 935645184 (0x0000000037c4d000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (60 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. In addition, 0 other I/O requests to this file have also taken an abnormally long time to be serviced since the last message regarding this problem was posted 2090 seconds ago. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

HP MPIO Full Featured DSM for EVA Disk Arrays v2.00.01 Are established