8967 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6000; ultrium 3 firmware update failed

Peter Turza
Occasional Advisor

MSL6000; ultrium 3 firmware update failed

Hello All,

I am trying to update firmware on ultrium 3 drive. I am using L&TT utility. At first i updated the library firmware, but when the drive firmware was being updated, the program stoped responding for a long time. (hour) Now i am trying update the drive, but always failed. Drive is working ok. Labeling and some backups are running ok.
From the DP 5.5 I get the error message:

[Major] From: BMA@ct3s003.sgsk.saargummi.local "cd3s003_ultrium_0" Time: 8. 3. 2007 13:27:09
[90:51] scsi3:0:1:0C
Cannot write to device ([1117] The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. )
I think the problem is connected to the firmware. Is there any possibility how to update firmware in drive (except from tape)? Or is there any solution why the firmware update fails?
Thanks Peter

3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Cannot write to device ([1117] The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. )
this mean that the backup aplication had problem sending data from the host to the tape, the error can occured anywhere on the path.
But for my experience, I can tell you something to check first: the LTO3 need to have the scsi terminator on the drive canister, this mean that the LTO3 should always be the latest compnent of the scsi chain, this is important for the drive that is daisy chained with the robotic controller.
So check and eventualy modify this situation if needed. Not doing the right cabling cause you random I/O errors and this can be the cause of the error 1117 reported in DP but also the cause of the FW upgrade failure.
Dirk Lange1
Advisor

Hi Peter,

at first, please check that the following services and applications are stopped if you try to update the Firmware with LTT:
RSM - removable Storage Manager
DP himself - stop all services and check that DP get no access to the Library/Drive if you try to update the firmware.
If you have an Proliant Server, please stop the Fibre Array Information Agent.
Of Course, use the latest Version of LTT.

Regards
Dirk
Peter Turza
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot, I have changed the cable order and it works.

Thanks a lot.

Peter