1748151 Members
3346 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6000 with Ultrium 3 drive

TotalAdmin

MSL6000 with Ultrium 3 drive

Hi

I am haveing a few problems with the setup above. The OS (W2K Server) installs the drive and it is visible in the Computer Management. As soon as I run the L&TT V3.5 sp4 I get a OS message that the tape drive have been removed and that this can cause server to crash (standard removing media) message. The Tape drive is also not visible in the L&TT. "drive does not exist"

Rebooting the server sorts this out but then you are back at the begining of the problem.

Any ideas please?
3 REPLIES 3
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

If devices disappear, but you have not physically disconnected them, it's often a compability/connectivity issue.

What HBA are you using?

Is it one listed as supported in the EBS compatability matrix (www.hp.com/go/ebs)?

How is the MSL and drive cabled and terminated? Are you using the cables/terminator(s) that come with the library, or something else?
The journey IS the reward.
TotalAdmin

The MSL in connected directlly to a Smart Array 6404 SCSI controller on the server and I am useing the cables supplied. I have tried Connecting to the Tape drive and terminating the controller and connecting to the controller and terminating the drive. It does not appear to make a differnce and the MSL does not complain about a termination problem.

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> The MSL in connected directlly to a Smart Array 6404 SCSI controller

That is not a tested/supported HBA for the MSL library. The compatability matrix lists the supported HBAs under Windows (click on the SCSI HBA in the menu on the top of most pages).

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/ebs/EBSMatrix-1205.pdf

Look at pages 32..34.
The journey IS the reward.