108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6026 + OpenVMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Crooks
Frequent Advisor

MSL6026 + OpenVMS

I am contemplating buying a Storageworks library (MSL6026) and using it in place of an aging TZ89. I have an existing library that I use for my Windows servers running Backup Exec and it is partitioned with several media sets to do the various backups during the week/month/etc. If I buy such a library for use with my VMS/Alpha and put it on the same SAN, how exactly am I supposed to tell the library to use a specific tape? In BackupExec, I have my tapes barcoded and it knows that I want to use a particular set to do the daily incrementals, etc.

As far as I can tell, VMS (7.3-2 in my case) doesn't have any software that is part of the OS that enables this kind of functionality.

All I can see it that when I tell it to do a backup, unless a tape is already in the drive, it will just ask me to insert a tape, which I will manually have to do from the front console.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on what I can buy for VMS that will enable this functionality?

I checked the Storageworks matrix and it seems to be supported, but from my knowledge the BACKUP command doesn't really have any tape management abilities.

Any insite is appreciated.

Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

You can move media via the web interface of this box, so you don't have to go to the library and press the buttons.

But I guess this is a good question for the openVMS forum

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=288

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Rob Crooks
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I guess it is.

I wasn't sure which to put it in.

Sorry. :(
Rob Crooks
Frequent Advisor

I will ask the question in the OpenVMS forum. It does seem like a software question now that I think of it!