StoreEver Tape Storage
1753758 Members
4822 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6030 bin fetch failure

GlenStamnitz

MSL6030 bin fetch failure

Library will load slot, but consistently fails fetching tape from slot5. I cannot determine any misalignment. There are no foriegn objects in the slot or in the libray that might interfere. The robotics will try many times, then fail with 3011 error. There is some play in the left tape tray, but no more than in the right one. Is there anything else I should do before calling for support? I am uncertain if this unit is still in warranty.
4 REPLIES 4
Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor

Glen,

Investigate the magazine(s) for missing screws. These are gold colored and sometimes come out by themself and travel around in the library and causing all kinds of problems.
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Glen,

Remove the magazine from the ibrary and remove and re-enter the tape from slot 5 several times. You will notice it get easier after 10-20 repetions.

Then the robot arm won't have any more fetch problems with the slot 5. The pin that locks the tape into the slot is just too rigid in the beginning.

I've done this once with a magazine and the library is still running fine a year later.

best regards,
Kurt
GlenStamnitz

Didn't find any screws or other objects in the library. Compared the tension on slot5 with the others and it seems fine.
Really seemed like a hw problem, but I checked firmware versions on library and drives. These were about a year old, so I updated to the latest. Remarkably, the bin fetch failure went away. No idea how firmware could affect this, but it did and I am satisfied. Thanks for the replies.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> but I checked firmware versions on library and drives. These were about a year old, so I updated to the latest. Remarkably, the bin fetch failure went away. No idea how firmware could affect this, but it did and I am satisfied.

The 5.XX firmware (i.e. 5.07 and 5.13) added some learning algorithms to help determine optimal positioning of the picker for fetch/stow operations to the bins and drives. It's likely that those algorithms made an improvement on your unit.

Dave
HP Engineering
The journey IS the reward.