1748089 Members
5015 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6030 hardware compression diable

ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

MSL6030 hardware compression diable

Customer has two MSL6030's. One has LTO3's and the other LTO2's. Problem: Customer connects to HBA and compression is fine. Connects through either SANbox2-16 or Brocade 2800 with the LTO3's and compression becomes disabled. Also, customer claims LTO2 is set to 2k and the LTO3 is set to 1k. Is there a way to change this configuration??
7 REPLIES 7
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSL6030 hardware compression diable

Darren,
are you refering to hardware compression ?

how does your customer decide that the comression is not working ?
can you provide more details ?

If so, according to HP it is on by default.
the way to test it would be to use the compression test on the drive using the ltt tool.

Tal
"Life is what you make out of them!"
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

I just remembered somthing, if you are using the browser to login into the MSL library, and tring to change the hardware compression to "on", I had the same problem but HP indicated to me that the hardware compression is always set to on

Tal
"Life is what you make out of them!"
ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

Correct Tal, they are referring to hardware compression. Here is the issue.
"HP MSL6030 LTO3 tape library: The hardware compression is disabled when it's connected to the switch. Need to find a way on how to enable it. The HP LTO2 does not exhibit this problem. The receiving buffer size is set to 1K. We found out that the other HP LTO2 is set to 2k so there should be a way to correct this."
I'll find out how they are determining that the hardware compression is becoming disabled and is they are logging in through the web browser and reply ASAP.
ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

Tal, they said they are logging in through the browser, but they are not changing any configuration. I've read that if the compression is set to "on" on the library and in sofware it could cause problems.

Only thing is, if it's connected straight to the HBA, compression works. It's when they connect to the switch when the problem occurs. And it's only with the LOT3 not the LTO2.....
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

If you are using backup exec, when it discover the unit it disable hardware compresion but when you launch a backup it enable compression and disable when finishes.
There is a test on L&TT to enable hardware compresion.
Configuration test with "enable compression option"
Another way is rebooting your library, it will enable hardware compression.
Keep learning!!!
ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

MESCO, does compression need to be enabled in backup exec?

This is what I just received from customer.

"Just found out that software compression is off by default. If the HP library is connected directly to the host, the hardware compression is ON but if the library is connected to the FC switch, the hardware compression is OFF. For some reason, the HP detects something to auto-configured the hardware compression."
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

Hardware compression is enabled by default.
Software compression needs to be disabled from your backup software, is not recommended to use both at the same time.
Software compression takes more resources from your system.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=lpg50244
Keep learning!!!