4867 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6060 SCSI prevent/allow error message

Sean Campbell
Occasional Advisor

MSL6060 SCSI prevent/allow error message

Hi,

We have an MSL6060 running on a unix server set up with 4 drives, with DP.

When trying to access the magazines via the button 'magazine access' to change tapes, we are getting the error message:

"Host, via a SCSI prevent/allow command is preventing magazine access".

While I have managed to clear this with a reboot of the library. It has re-appeared and is only intermitently fixed by a reboot. The library is also 'acting strange' it is accessing tapes and appears to be loading/unloading them in sequence 1 slot at a time. This again is intermittent.

I have checked the DP processes and there is nothing spurios hanging around.

Anybody have any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Sean,

Does the library have the SAN option (Fibre Channel) installed, and can it be "seen" by other systems like Windows 2000/2003 systems from within the SAN?

These systems may have the "Removeable Storage Service" enabled and polling your MSL every now and again. The lock is caused by a SCSI command sent from a host so rebooting the MSL is only bypassing the real problem.

On those servers which don't need access to the MSL and may have a FC controller, disable the Removeable Storage service.

If the MSL only has local SCSI access to your Unix server then there is something amiss in the backup software side or a setting that can bypass the locks.

There is a "best practices" guide which explains the type of locking you are seeing so if I can find it I will attach it to a future reply.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Allan Cauyao_1

Brian can i have a copy of the document that you said about best pratices regarding MSL6000?

thanks
williampi

can i have a copy of the document that you said about best pratices regarding MSL6000?

thanks
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Sean Campbell
Occasional Advisor

Thanks.