108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6060 Tape Drive - OpenView Data Protector Media Unload Failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Malcolm Loftus
Occasional Contributor

MSL6060 Tape Drive - OpenView Data Protector Media Unload Failure

I am currently project-managing a large HP Infrastructure deployment for HP Indonesia into a major local bank.

We have ongoing, but intermittent failure of tape media to unload following a backup, that then blocks the drive for further server backups. The problem is not confined to just one of the 4 tape drives in the unit.

HP Indonesia have done considerable investigation into this problem, but have been unable to track-down any suggestions in the knowledge databases for these products.

We recently reset all Data Protector options to "default", but after 2 days, the same error re-occured.

Sorry to contact you in this manner, but I am trying all escalation-paths to resolve this matter asap.

Can you help please ?

Thanks
Malcolm Loftus
Senior Project Manager
HP Indonesia
+62-21-812 822 9914
7 REPLIES 7
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Malcolm,.

Is the tape library in a SAN?

If so, are any of the windows hosts running Compaq Insight Manager 6.XX?

[DR: post correction - this should be Insight Management Agents 6.XX]

There is problem with CIM 6.40 and 6.20/30 with softpaqs. The issue causes a timeout that sends an abort to the library, and can cause a hang during a move operation.

The solution is either CIM 7.00, or the following workaround:

Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click on HP Management Agents.
From the Services tab, click on "Fibre Array Information" under the Active Agents list.
Click on Remove (Fibre Array Information will move to the Inactive Agents list).
Click on OK (agents will shut down and then restart).
The journey IS the reward.
Malcolm Loftus
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your swift reply David.

We are backing up from a total of 110 Blade Servers (BL20 and BL40's), 30+ of which are using SAN.

CIM is Version 6.40

My engineers are now checking all agents for the status of the fibre array information (ie. active or inactive).

Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers
Malcolm Loftus
Malcolm Loftus
Occasional Contributor

David

We have been checking the version levels of CIM and Server Agents, and find that they are different....

When looking using Add/Remove Programs, the version of Compaq Insight Manager is 7 SP2.1

BUT, under HP Management Agents, the Server Agent is 6.40

Would this be correct ? Or has maybe the wrong mix of sofware been loaded ?

Thanks
Malcolm Loftus
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

CIM (Compaq Insight Manager) is different from the server agents (PSP). Recent PSP versions are 6.20, 6.30, 7.00, etc. The management console (Insight Manager or System Insight Manager (just released last month) don't directly influence the PSP version.

The problem seems to stem from the PSP versions prior to 7.00, so you don't have to worry about the CIM/SIM/IM version, if I read the prior posts correctly.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Malcolm,

I don't think there is anything wrong with your IM/CIM installation.

I did a fresh install of Insight Manager 7 SP2.3, but when I go to Management Agents, it says Version 6.40.0.0.

Also, if I go into Control Panel and select HP Management agents, the window title says "Management Agents for Servers Version 6.40.0.0", and this is where the fibre array information service is which has the problem.

It is my suspicion therefore that Insight Manager 7 (SP2.3) doesn't have the polling fix yet for the problem that can cause robotic hangs on tape libraries.

I'll do some more research, but for now I would recommend disabling the "fibre array information" services under HP management agents.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

I confirmed that there is no direct relationship betweeen Inight Manager, and the Insight Mangement Agents (even though the names are revision numbers are similar).

There is a separate download for HP Insight Management Agents for Windows. Look under the software and downloads section of the web for your particular server.

There is a HP Management Agents for Windows 2000/2003 version 7.0.0.0.
Malcolm Loftus
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks David

We inactivated the Fibre Information Agent on all servers, and all backups ran successfully for the first time.

Whilst we will continue to monitor for a while, this fix definitely seems to have solved the problem.

We will upgrade to HP Mgmt Agents v7 when things have calmed down a bit !

Best regards
Malcolm Loftus