1752378 Members
6314 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6060 on Windows 2k3 64bit SP1

CSUMB Network Operation
Occasional Advisor

MSL6060 on Windows 2k3 64bit SP1

We just replaced our MSL5060 with a MSL6060 this week. I've been working through a number of issues first off we've been burning through tapes went through 14 tapes in an evening. We run Legato Networker I went through the logs for it and noticed its marking tapes as full with like 128kb -> 70MB of data written to them. Our library has of the 4GB NSR's and is on our SAN fabric connected to a DL 380G2 running 2k3 SP1 and a BL25p running 2k3 64bit SP1. Ideas on troubleshooting this? i did some google searchs and am going to upgrade both to SP2 to hopefully resolve that problem. My second problem is on the BL25 the medium changer is showing up as unknown. Any idea what I need to download or do to get it to show up right? On the DL380 windows just installed a driver and it shows up.
4 REPLIES 4
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Q1, be sure your cabling is correct, if you have a LTO3, you should put the terminators on the drive cannister, or you will get i/o errors and this is probably the cause of the tape problem
Q2, the "Unknown changer" mean you have the windows standard driver for changer, or picker or robotic controller. this is ok to work, having the changer reported as HP or what else do not improve in any way the performances, it is just a cosmetic function. Scsi commands are passed over anyway.
CSUMB Network Operation
Occasional Advisor

Q1, be sure your cabling is correct, if you have a LTO3, you should put the terminators on the drive cannister, or you will get i/o errors and this is probably the cause of the tape problem

We paid HP to come out and rack / do the basic setup of it. I verified that the terminators are installed on each of the 4 drives and each drive has its own SCSI cable going from the drive to a port on the NSR. So after googling seeing some other messages on here about problems with 2k3 Sp1 and ultrium 960 drives figured I'd try upgrading to SP2 to see if that helps.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

ok, also pay attention to this KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907418. Networker will definitely have trouble reading tapes written with a bigger blocksize than 64K after upgrading to w2k3 sp1, may be this is the cause of the problem. read article for details.
CSUMB Network Operation
Occasional Advisor

I just logged in and looked at our backups its still doing the same thing its marking tapes full after 200mb or so of data on them.