StoreEver Tape Storage
1752571 Members
5153 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6060 presented to N4000-55 not working - mapping problem?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Button

MSL6060 presented to N4000-55 not working - mapping problem?

Hi,

I'm trying to present an MSL6060 using 2 x e1200-320 NSRs and through Brocade switches to an N4000-55.

The NSRs are logging into the switches OK, and each switch is set a complete zone.

I'm struggling to figure out how to set up the mapping so that the drives are visible to the correct WWNs on the N4000... However I've tried many different ways and I'm not getting any joy.

Should I use the WWN which is shown from "fcmsutil /dev/td0 get fabric" ?

Also, is the first half of the WWN the (Hi) part and the second half the (Lo) part?

What should I put for the Map Name (Indexed, Auto, SCC or Port 0) ?

Is the host ID important?

When I run ioscan or ioscan -fnCtape it only shows the existing tape library, and not the new one.

When I run "fcmsutil /dev/td0 get remote all" it does not appear to see the WWN of the NSR.

The firmware of both NSRs is 5.71f. The firmware of the library is 5.20. The kernel has the stape drivers installed already.
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSL6060 presented to N4000-55 not working - mapping problem?

first issue a discovery and have the host wwn listed in the NSR, so you are sure you have no connectivity issue, and you will not mistype the WWN
after that you can proceed

select mapping
select indexed or autoassigned map then edit/view
check the list of devices to be added in the map and select the order and what you want to be presented

then select the host that should be present in the list and edit view
Select the map name (indexed or autoassigned)

then "Acticate Mapping and Save"

reboot the nsr and it is done

now if you use the autoassigned map, this map will be presented to any host that appear in the nsr host list, even if it should not have to manage the library, so the best is to use the indexed map. this map will be presented to the hosts you want they manage the library, then you go again in mapping and you clear all the entries of the autoassigned map, so an empty map will be presented to the host that may appear in the nsr by error.

Steve Button

Hi Marino,

It's a good answer, but I've tried the discovery and I don't see the host on FC PORT 0 of either of the NSRs. I can see plenty of disks though and a couple of ENCL entries.

Strangely, I see the same DISK and ENCL entries (at least some of them, I haven't checked them all) when using fcmsutil on the host system. I've matched the WWNs and they are the same.

This proves to me that we're in the same Zone I guess... but I really don't understand why I'm not seeing the host's FC card in the discovery.

Steve
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

well you can also create a host entry manualy and add the wwn.

I would suggest to reboot the server and see if it propagate the wwn in the san

Also I suggest to create a dedicated zone for the backup including only the Host HBA and the NSR
Steve Button

I've also noticed that the adapter is an A5158A model which is not on the list of supported cards "in an EBS environment"... However, this host is currently working with a different library and therefore it should work with the new one (shouldn't it?).
Steve Button

That seems to have sorted the problem out. I had to use the WWN's from the fcmsutil /dev/td0 commands rather than the ones from fcmsutil /dev/td0 get fabric, which gives completely different numbers.

I agree, we should set up a seperate zone for backups and for disks devices.

Interestingly only 3 of the 4 drives appear in Data Protector and the one which is missing has got most of it's device files missing. i.e. we have the /dev/rmt/c31t0d1BEST* devices but NOT the /dev/rmt/2m* devices as I'd expect. I may start a seperate thread for this if I get stuck.

Thanks very much for your help.

Steve