1753820 Members
9381 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6060 with Ultrium 460 drives - firmware upgrades

Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

MSL6060 with Ultrium 460 drives - firmware upgrades

I need to know the correct procedure for updating the firmware for both the MSL6060 library and the Ultrium 2 tape drives.

Our current firmware levels are as follows:

Library: 4.23
Drives: F38W

I tried using the web interface to update the firmware on the drives as follows:

Downloaded the firmware file 'LTT_Ultrium_2-SCSI_F43W_OEM20.frm' from HP web site.

FTP'd this file to the library /upload directory

Opened the web interface and selected the following:
Functions
Drive Flash Operation
Flash Drive 1 (HP LTO Gen. 2) from local file

The firmware upgrade reached 100% but then came back with an error 3.

The status screen for the drive showed the original firmware level (luckily the drive was still working!)

I did not use LTT as only HP-UX systems are attached to the library and I have had problems with LTT on UNIX.
When performing some system tests or generating trouble tickets I have had LTT core dump (obviously I do not want this happening during a firmware upgrade)

I also have the MSLUtil program on my Laptop but do not know the correct procedure for updating the firmware via the serial cable.

Ideally I would like to download the firmware images onto my laptop and directly connect to the library to perform both library and drive upgrades.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Mark

Remember to think before you react................but always make sure there is still time to react
3 REPLIES 3
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL6060 with Ultrium 460 drives - firmware upgrades

Mark:

I have had better luck loading the MSL6000 series bios using the MSLUtil 4.2. This is the diskettes you should have the came with the unit. This utility and the serial cable that omes with it has been 100% succesfful for me.
Hook it up to a windows laptop and you can flash every library.

430.bin file for the MSLUtil:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=316109&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316104тМй=en&cc=us&swEnvOID=54

MSLUtil 4.2:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English+%28US%29&pnameOID=316109&prodSeriesId=316104&prodTypeId=12169&basePartNum=COL3991&locBasepartNum=co-13092-1&os=Microsoft+Windows+2000+Pro&tech=Utility

Unfortunately, I use the L&TT on Windows to roam around and bring the drives up to date as well.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that I was trying to use the LTT firmware file instead of the .bin file when trying to upgrade the Library firmware using the Web interface.

Is there any way in which I could use my Laptop along with LTT for Windows to upgrade the drives? (even though the Laptop is not configured to see the drives)

I just don't trust the UNIX LTT at the moment (prefering the Windows version to the UNIX version is not my usual choice)

Is LTT the only way to update the Ultrium drives in the Library?
They are SAN attached, does this make any difference?

Mark
Remember to think before you react................but always make sure there is still time to react
Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

Closing old thread