1748150 Members
3474 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL8096 disappearing drives

MICHAEL PANZER
Occasional Contributor

MSL8096 disappearing drives

I have an MSL8096 that was installed just over a weeks ago after a toal replacement of the enclosure with 4 LTO drives running HP Data Protector on an DL160G5 running Windows Server 2003. They are attached to the server via 2 N1200-320 Fiber to SCSI convertors. We are running the latest LTT and FW on the drives and N1200. Diagnostics show no errosr, but intermittenly we are having problems with the MSL. The library is present and the drive are present, but the robotic assy is missing. Reboot the libary...a couple of days later, I want to eject some tape, while a restore is running and can't eject the tape and the front panel is non respsonsive. abort the restore , reboot the library and then can eject the tapes...Today...2 of the 4 drives are missing. rebooted the library, then the routers and then the server itself and then all the drives showed up. I do have an MSL6000 attached also and it is working fine. I am working with the support center, and running diags..LTO drive assessment with no errors found. Sometime I also have to remap the libary and drives on the 2 N1200's....havent found anything ...any ideas thatI should try?
2 REPLIES 2
MICHAEL PANZER
Occasional Contributor

Re: MSL8096 disappearing drives

I have an update to this....I submitted a support ticket to HP and received the following reply.
He was able to see that all tape drives are getting high polling which is related with the Removable Storage service, which is disabled under the Windows Services, but for some reason Windows Server is still checking for the plug and play for the drives. Refer to this URL to make changes to the registry. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411/en-us
There were also changes to be made to HP Management Agents and HP Insight Agents.
It has been 2 days now with no missing drives will see what happens.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL8096 disappearing drives

here are more info about polling: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01567338

Another point is that your MSL is in SAN, so multiple hosts can reach the library, and the actions you do on the HOST to prevent polling, stopping RSM, stopping the Tape agent in FC Information agent, etc.. should be made on all the hosts that are in the SAN, and use zoning to zone out unrelated server/
If a windows host that have nothing to do see the library, Windows will start to keep ownership of the library and issue an inventory. During this time, other hosts may time out load/unload commands and have the robot put ofline by the driver