1752772 Members
4860 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mailslot with a G2 autoloader

thecos
Occasional Contributor

Mailslot with a G2 autoloader

Can someone tell me what exactly does the "mailslot" actually do in a 8 slot G2 autoloader?
3 REPLIES 3
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

It will reduce the scan time,

If you want to add 1 tape cartridge to the autoloader then instead of taking the entire magazine out you can take the mailslot out, that way the media changer will only scan the mailslot isntead of the whole magazine therefore the autoloader will be ready sooner.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
thecos
Occasional Contributor

"If you want to add 1 tape cartridge to the autoloader then instead of taking the entire magazine out you can take the mailslot out, that way the media changer will only scan the mailslot isntead of the whole magazine therefore the autoloader will be ready sooner."

hmm. reduce time? I guess. Why did they call it a mailslot?

So let me get this straight. I can add a cartridge in the mailslot (#1 slot - left magazine) thus taking out the entire Left Magazine. and how does that reduce time?

Then you said I can take out the mailslot out (I'm assuming remove the cartridge from #1 slot, known as the "mailslot") and this will scan faster and be ready sooner. I can see this happening to its extent.

I guess I'd rather use the slot for extra storage but still confused about how to use GFS-20.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

In most previous libraries the "mailslot" looks really like a mailslot in a letter box.

;-)

The name remains.
Depending on the model and configuration you can disallow the removal of the magazine, the only way to exchange cartridges then is to use the mailslot.

So you can protect your media from unauthorized removal.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!