1752587 Members
4069 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Mechanical block code: 8D 00

JOACKIM
Occasional Contributor

Mechanical block code: 8D 00

I have a problem with my HP Storageworks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader. When I power it on it dispays the error message "Mechanical Block code: 8D 00"

Does anybody has a solution to this problem

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage > General to Tape Libraries and Drives - HP Forums Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If the autoloader is new to you or has been moved, please make sure that any shipping lock has been removed and that the top and bottom of the autoloader are not bent (because of e.g. something stacked on top of it).

Please see Curtis Ballard's post in this thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tape-Backup-Small-and-Medium/Mechanical-Block/td-p/896289

It is not exactly the same code, but a similar one. So Curtis's troubleshooting suggestion should still apply: remove the tape magazines (using the emergency release mechanism if necessary) and see if a tape has become loose and blocked the movement of any mechanical parts. Try restarting the autoloader with no tapes at all, to see if it powers up successfully.

If the power-up without the magazines is successful, check the magazines: is any of the tapes misaligned, or is there visible damage anywhere? Then install the magazines one by one, testing each time.

If the power-up fails when there are no magazines at all, it might be a stuck sensor, or if there previously was an actual blockage, it may have caused some secondary damage.

MK
JOACKIM
Occasional Contributor

I did the following and the error message still appears:

1. Removed all the tapes from the autoloader and put them back

2. Run the wellness test

Please note that nothing has been placed on top or bottom of the autoloader

Please kindly advise for any solution

JOACKIM
Occasional Contributor

The power-up fails when there are no magazines at all. In this case what are the steps for checking on the stuck sensor if this is a problem ? And if there was previously an actual blockage how can this be corrected ? Please help