Daniel Ubeda
Frequent Advisor

Media Life Exceeded

Hi,

I receive this message from event monitor:
Summary:
Tape at hardware path 10/12/5.0.0 : Media Life

Description of Error:

The media has exceeded its specified life.
anyone know where is configured this parameter ??
thanks
Daniel
8 REPLIES 8
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Media Life Exceeded

Daniel,

This message is typically displayed based upon number of passes the physical media has made. This is stored by the tape drive and media. The EMS is simply reporting what the drive/media is telling it. Could you please give a little more insight as to the SPU Model (K-460), OS type and revision, and the model of tape drive. This may help isolate the problem if the media has been replaced with new and the error is still occuring.

Dave
Daniel Ubeda
Frequent Advisor

Thank you, the HP is an K380 with 11.0, and is probably that the media are exceeded, but I want to extend the media life ....
is it possible ???
daniel
Daniel
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Daniel,

I'm not sure how you would reset that on a DAT. However, I would HIGHLY recommend against that if you value your backup data. The cost of a backup tape is far less than the cost of data loss. This "message" is put in place to avoid loss of data due to use of "worn out" tapes. There is an expected lifecycle and in your case, it's been exceeded. Replace the media and avoid being in a position of trying to recover from a crash with media that is not usuable or readable.

HTH,

Dave
Daniel Ubeda
Frequent Advisor

Thank David, I try to buy new media, but in this moment of Argentina with U$S 1 = $ 4, is very dificult to buy imported products.
Thanks again.
Daniel
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Yes, it may be expensive to get new tapes, but how much would it cost if you lost the data on the tapes?

I know of one company that went out of business because they could not recover their data from backups.

I know an accounting firm that had to hire 20 temps for 3 weeks to manual re-enter their data and manually do the payrolls covered by that data. All because nobody checked the media to see if the data was correctly backed up.

HTH
Marty
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Data is expensive. That's why tape drives and all other backup devices are gods and we should kneel in front of them all the time.

For me, a tape drive is more important than the server itself... but then that's my opinion... I'm a tape freak anyway :-)

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

The BU application is responding to a TapeAlert flag that warns you when the media has reached its life expectancy. Unless the cartridge is write protected, a number stored at the beginning of tape is incremented at every unload. The limit is fixed in firmware and can't be changed, but the tape should be discarded.
NPD USER
Regular Advisor

Chiboludo,

Tira ese tape a la basura. No confies en ese DAT para tus backups. Aqui en mi oficina cambiamos el uso de DATs a DLTs y tenemos extra DATs para regalar (90M y 120M DDS2).

Si quieres unos gratis dejame saber y te los puedo mandar.

MO.