1752279 Members
4456 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mounting DAT units as volumes under 2K/XP

David Zielezna

Mounting DAT units as volumes under 2K/XP

G'day guys,

I have a surestore dat24i that i wish to use as a streaming device (lots of video). All the data will be accessed sequentially, so no need to worry about seek times, etc... speed is not an issue either, even <500KB/sec would be adequate.

I know of methods or software for DOS/win9x/linux environments that allows you to mount a tape device as a drive letter or readable volume. Unfortunately i have never seen such a utility under an NT based OS. The closest thing i have come across is remote storage in win2k adv srvr, but that doesn't really cut the mustard. I'm after a similar sort of thing, but i don't want to have to pull the data off the tape and onto the hard disk drives before i can read it. streaming right from the tape is what i need.

Anyone have any suggestions or know of any such software?
2 REPLIES 2
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi
I remenber in the past a BU software called Stac Replica, let you mount the tape after the backup was made, now I didn't know the evolution of the product but you can investigate in this way

marino
David Zielezna

Thanks for that. I've found various reviews on the product that concur with what you say. However, it no longer seems to be a current product from stac. Do you know if it is now called something else?