108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need firmware update for DDS Autoloader

SOLVED
Go to solution
stop_1
Occasional Contributor

Need firmware update for DDS Autoloader

I'm looking for firmware to update my Compaq 3300 series DDS Autoloader. I believe this tape drive is based on the Archive 4586NP DDS autoloader hardware (so say the stickers on the tape drive unit inside the case anyway) and also the HP-TSM software indicates this to be true.

When I use the HP-TSM I get the following device info:

Device Name: ARCHIVE 4586XX 28887-XXX
Revision: 4BGD

I have run the 'Standard' and 'Custom' tests and the drive passes both no problem.

Please let me know where I can find the most recent firmware for this drive - I've searched the Compaq ROMpaq database already and have found that the firmware files have been removed from the downloadable files 'to save space'...

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am stuck with a firmware revision which locks up periodically.
6 REPLIES 6
CA859951
Honored Contributor
Solution

HP Shows the drivers for this device at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNum=C5717A&prodName=hp+surestore+dat40x6e+external&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=42856

This page claims to have the bios and tools to use for this drive... I hope this helps.
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
stop_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - I visited the site and searched through the listings...and there are some firmware versions...

The problem is that through online research it seems the firmware version I need for my 4586NP is "4c04" and I don't see a reference to it on this page.

Also I didn;t mention before that I have the 4-cartridge Compaq 3300, AKA the Archive 4586NP Autoloader.

Thanks for any help/pointers.
CA859951
Honored Contributor

If you go back to the orginal Mnfg. of the drive type (i.e., Seagate) you can find info, drivers, etc...
Check here:
http://www.seagate.com/support-home/

I did not see an updated firmware from Seagate though.

The TSMS did not give you any options?
This is a link to version 2.3.3 :
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/softwaredrivers/tsmc/tsmcv23.html

"Now is the only thing that's real!"
stop_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I checked both locations - Seagate Python 4586NP and Peregrine 4586NP don't look like my drive in the pictures...so I'm a bit unsure of flashing their firmware - the internal label on my drive says ARCHIVE 4586NP and externally it has only Compaq labels saying 3300 series - no reference to Seagate at all.

Also, I have found several references on the web to the following:

Compaq 4/16-GB TurboDAT Autoloader = Conner / Archive 4586NP, with most recent firmware version: 4C04

So, after MUCH digging through ROMpaqs .txt files I have found 4c04 buried inside ROMpaq SP2378.exe....BUT...after installing the SW onto a floppy and cold booting the Compaq SW says 'either there is no appropriate driver on the disk or there is no appropriate hardware connected...' AAARG!

Meanwhile the drive still works fine in Win2K and is recognized by the backup SW.

Any help at this point would be MUCH appreciated!
stop_1
Occasional Contributor

Per your other question about TMS 2.33, I have been using this version.

It doesn't do much apart from identifying the drive and current firmware version.

Once in the TMS, from the general summary page I can download all available files, but once I've selected the Tape Drive in TMS, the 'autoupdate' and 'manual' buttons don't download anything at all....i.e. it doesn't look like the TMS can find any firmware for my drive.

Joshua Kaplan_1
Advisor

I have one of these drives branded as a Seagate, and need to do recovery from tapes. Any drivers that you have for this, and any firmware updates as well, would be a huge benefit to me.

If you have either, please reply.