StoreEver Tape Storage
1753767 Members
5462 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need info on how to restore a tape backup

Mark Gottesman

Need info on how to restore a tape backup

I have to recover/restore a database that was backed up on a DT-350 tape about 5 years ago. I do not have the system that generated it. What sort of tape drive do I need to get it off and will I need a computer that has Win95(?) and workgroups for windows 3.1 or will an XP unit open and transfer the info. Possibly there is a business that could copy it to a CD. I am fairly sure it was an entire HD backup and was not compressed. At least that is what I seem to remember. Please let me know what other info I can provide.
Thanks
Mark G.
3 REPLIES 3
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Need info on how to restore a tape backup

I can suggest you to contact this company, saying you are a HP customer and giving the code you will found on this link, you will have also a discount.

Hope this help

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg70004

---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

I mean this in a constructive way, not condescending. Long-term recovery is a big deal -- we tend to upgrade systems (or our boss tells us to) without thinking about how we will restore those old backups. In addition to keeping around some hardware/software to read those old backups, it's also useful to keep detailed records about how a particular tape was written (avoids the guessing).

I wish you well with your effort.
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
CA911939
Advisor

Morning,
A DT-350 is a QIC 80 tape, native capacity 170 Mb. It can be read / written with a Colorado Trakker 250 external drive, a jumbo 250 internal drive, or a microsolutions backpack parallel port drive. If not compressed, most any backup software that can see above drives could read the tape. If compressed, probably have to use the original backup S/W. Use os win 3.1 up thru Win ME. Don't think XP supports tape drives anymore. Good luck. Don