5914 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New ESL 712e, robotics, and zoning

Jonathan E. Deady
Frequent Advisor

New ESL 712e, robotics, and zoning

Hi,
We have a new 712e, along with 2 others. It seems HP has changed the way the 712e is configured, in that the robot is not a separate WWPN. Without digging to far ( docs.hp.com still has our older 712e docs ), it seems we now have to show the robot to every system and use Commandview to controll what the host "sees".
We find CV clunky and slow, zoning is quicker and easier for our currect SAN setup, so my question is; is there a way to zone this new 712e configuration? Or do we have to zone the whole ESL to each host and then use CV?

It's interesting, HP took out most of the IC's , put SIP in and took out what we would have like to have seen to save money - but still charged us the same if not more than an 712e we bought last year. Oh well, :)

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

It may be there is a bit of confusion on this new way to manage the robotic, but in fact nothing changed:

the robotic is always a LUN as in the past, and you can present it to only one server in the SAN.

also, CV is an interface that allow to configure the library via Interface Manager, and there is no issue if the CV is slow to refresh, slow in communicating with lib, etc(usually due to the LAN)... because the management of the library is made by IM with a local LAN

marino
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I also forgot to say that zoning is a must in a EBS environment, this do not substitute the presentation from CV, but it is an integration, in fact some host issue command that can scan the SAN, even if there is nothing seen, and this is very disruptive for Backups running
Jonathan E. Deady
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, I'll be looking for a LUN now. My other ESL's robots show up with their own WWN, not a LUN of another WWN.

Thanks