6202 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Newbie to DLT drives

SOLVED
Go to solution

Newbie to DLT drives

Hi all,

I plan to install a SMART Desktop DLT 8000 drive and an FWD SCSI-2 interface card into my HP9000 D330 server running HP-UX 11.00.

I'm new to DLT drives and was wondering if there are any known pitfalls or problems that I should look out for.

Of course, if there are no problems and nobody responds, then I won't know if anyone has read this. Therefore, if you are au fait with installing DLT drives and know that there aren't any issues, please respond to let me know this, too.

Thanks,

Kev
Is this why they pay us so little?
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Newbie to DLT drives

Hello,

You should have an HSC FWD SCSI-2 card installed in your D330, since it comes with all D3xx machines.

DLT8000s come in FWD HVD and LVD versions. In order to use that card, you should order a DLT8000 HVD version.

That's the only pitfall I know of. Otherwise, give the drive a non-used SCSI address, otherwise you'll have a SCSI conflict. On the back of the DLT8000 you can push buttons to set this address.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm already using that SCSI card for my HASS unit. That's why I bought another card. Do you foresee any conflicts there?

By the way, what does HTH mean?

GFTQRBSAMQ,
Kev
Is this why they pay us so little?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

No, I don't foresee any conflicts since you will be attaching the DLT drive on a seperate card. Give it a seperate SCSI address, though.

HTH means Hope This Helps :-)

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The main point is that no more than one DLT7000 or DLT8000 is allowed on a DEDICATED SCSI bus. You are also going to have a difficult time keeping the drive streaming if you use the conventional backups like tar or cpio. Unless the drive is kept streaming, you are going to be disappointed with its throughput. If you use, fbackup run a fairly high number of reader processes. If you use OmniBack, set concurrency to 5. Either of these will stream the drive.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.