StoreEver Tape Storage
1752770 Members
5001 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

No blank cartridge label - HP LTO-5 Ultrium 3TB RW Data Cartridge (C7975A)

AWU
Occasional Contributor

No blank cartridge label - HP LTO-5 Ultrium 3TB RW Data Cartridge (C7975A)

We regularly purchase HP LTO-5 Ultrium Cartridges (C7975A) for our external HP LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 tape unit.

Over the past 12 months the C7975A tape cartridge no longer comes with 2 x blank stick-on labels like it used too - please note we do not use barcodes labels. 

Anyone else found this to be true and are we able to get blank labels from HP to suit? I asked HP Sales however pushed me to Support - and in turn they had no idea.

2 REPLIES 2
Barry_Reider
HPE Pro

Re: No blank cartridge label - HP LTO-5 Ultrium 3TB RW Data Cartridge (C7975A)

@AWU, I reached out to some HPE people on our media team and this is the response to your question:

To reduce waste and support HPE’s sustainability efforts, these write on labels were removed from HPE storage supplies products in November 2018.

The vast majority of HPE data cartridges are used with bar code labels in automation environments, so this change also better reflected customer needs and usage.

I did a quick Google search on "blank LTO tape labels" and found several sources. In a standalone drive, pretty much anything that will stick to the plastic case should work - just make sure it doesn't hang over an edge. In a tape library environment, using only HPE barcoded labels is highly recommended. There are reflectivity and printing differences with other label stock that can cause issues.

-Barry

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: No blank cartridge label - HP LTO-5 Ultrium 3TB RW Data Cartridge (C7975A)

Good to know.

In the past I found these labels sometimes inside the drives of libraries.

This is not the place to be for them.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!