Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening tape devices under LynxOS

Richard Jordan_1
Occasional Advisor

Opening tape devices under LynxOS

Help !

I'm developing an application that performs raw write/read operations using standard ioctl() calls (to transfer SCSI command block data)under LynxOS 3.0.1. to a HP DAT40i drive. However, I cannot open the device unless a tape is inserted. The device can then be opened for write/read using the standard 'open("/dev/rtape3", O_RDWR, 0)' command.

I would have expected to be able to open the device without a tape being inserted and then I could get a check condition or mode sense and then detect that there is no tape present.

Similarly if a tape is write protected then the device can only be opened in read only mode (O_RDONLY).

Is this a limitiation in LynxOS/Unix or is this a setup/configuration/limitiation of the DAT drive ?

Thanks,
Rcihard.
2 REPLIES
Brice_5
Occasional Advisor

Re: Opening tape devices under LynxOS

I'm not familiar with LynxOS. Do you have poll() in LynxOS?
Richard Jordan_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Opening tape devices under LynxOS

Yes