1752299 Members
4967 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PE STOREEVER MSL2024 - Fan system

TaniaEcaterina
Frequent Visitor

PE STOREEVER MSL2024 - Fan system

HPE STOREEVER MSL2024 How can I configure it, if it is possible, to have a MSL2024 with a FAN SYSTEM hot plug and/or swapable, including redundancy? (hardware speeking)

6 REPLIES 6
Cali
Honored Contributor

The MSL2024 have a fixed Build-In Power Supply and Fan.
The MSL4048 can have a redundant Power Supply.
Never seen a failed Power Supply or Fan in a MSL2024 in last 20 Years.
You can use a Y-Power Cable to provide redundant Power.

Here are the Quick Specs:
http://www.hpe.com/info/qs

You can easy configure it in the Simple Configurator:
https://h22174.www2.hpe.com/SimplifiedConfig/Welcome

Go to: Home /Storage/Tape Storage/Business Class Libraries/HPE StoreEver MSL Tape Libraries

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
TaniaEcaterina
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your help. I am intresting only to have Fan system hot plug. I uderstood that this equipment is not hot plug or swappable. It is true?

Cali
Honored Contributor

Yes
ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
TaniaEcaterina
Frequent Visitor

One HP vendor from my country told to my company, that want to buy one HPE StorageEdge for tape library,  that this system MSL2024 has hot plug and swappable FAN system!

Cali
Honored Contributor

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

The answer to this question depends on how the question is interpreted.

The drive fans are 'hot swappable' if you consider that the fan is part of the drive assembly and you can remove/replace the drive assembly without powering off the library.  It is not possible to replace just the fan, the failure rate on the fans is so low that it isn't worth the complexity of designing for replacing just the fan.

The power supply in the 2024, as an earlier reply indicated, is not redundant.  The power supply fan is part of the power supply assembly so it is not possible to replace the power supply fan without turning off the library.

In the MSL 4048, as indicated in the earlier reply, the power supply can be redundant and in that product it would be possible to replace all fans without turning off the library by replacing either the drive assembly or the power supply assembly that contained the specific fan you wanted to replace.

For something in between the MSL3020 is a 3U product and can have redundant power supplies and drives so all fans could be replaced without powering off the library.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo