6207 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PROBLEMS WITH DAT40e

Tomas_2
Occasional Advisor

PROBLEMS WITH DAT40e

I Have the following Hardware:
DAT40e, SCSI SIIG AP40 Card, Tapeware Software, WinNT4.00, I Installed HP TOOLS, and it always send the same message. No connections found, check SCSI adapters, etc. If I reboot the machine, yo can see that the card its in ID 7, and the HPDAT in Id 3, Win NT, says that it sees the tape and the scsi card. but HP TOOLS progrmas does not. What can I do.
Tank you
11 REPLIES 11
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

OK, it shows up in you NT control panel under SCSI devices and Tape Drives? Correct?

By TAPETOOLS do you mean HP Libray & Tape Tools? There was earlier application (no longer supported) called HP TapeTools.

L&TT can be downloaded from http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools. The current version is 2.7 SR4.

Does the TapeWare application work with the device?
The journey IS the reward.
Tomas_2
Occasional Advisor

I have an old Tapetools that came with my DAT, and also I did download the new version. The device is working with Tapeware sometimes, I did Backup 1.4Gb with no error, but then I tried to backup another 1Gb, the same day, just minutes later and the software was running and after backing up 11%, the machines hangs up.

I tried the new hpTools, and it says that it can not find any tape devices. It found the Scsi Card. After running HP Tools, I have to reboot the machine in order to see again the Tape Device, also Tapeware doesn??t find it. I have to reboot the macahine
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Tomas_2
Occasional Advisor

Ok, Thank you. But still it???s not working, some additional data.

I am using HP Tools Ver 2.7 SR3, when I use the program, it finds the HP DAT 40 on the following address, HP 65683A Address 2/0.3.0

When I select this item I receive an error, tell me that I have to see a LOG under the File menu. When I get there and try to open it, I received another error telling me that it can not open the file because it???s not the correct format.

Some times I receive a program error, with exception 10.

I did, download the latest HP DAT 40 driver.

I am using HP NT4 SP4.00, it??s this ok.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> When I select this item I receive an error...

Generally it indicates a problem communicating with the device (reading inquiry, or log/mode pages).

Given the symptoms with TapeWare as well, have you verified that the SCSI bus is correct? Are you using good cables and terminators? Is term power supplied? Is both ends of the bus terminated? Are the cables short enough?

The SIIG AP40 card is one that I've not seen before. I don't know if it's an officially supported (or tested) SCSI card, although in theory all SCSI cards should work, right?

One option would be to enable 'I/O history' in the LTT options/preferences. Then select the device (and have it fail), and then close the application. Then email the EventLog.ltt file (in the logs folder) to ltt_team@hp.com, and we can look at it.

> I am using HP NT4 SP4.00, it??s this ok.

SP6a is current, but SP4 was a stable release.

If possible, you might look into borrowing an Adaptec HBA, and see if the problem goes away.

Also, on the above DDS support web page there's a TapeWare service pack that is fairly recent (2002-01-16), but I doubt that it will fix your problem.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Thomas
You have Tapeware installed, if you want to run NT backup as a test or run Library and Tape Tools as diagnostic, you need first stop tapeware services, (stop it and put in manual the service) then you can let other software to communicate to your backup unit

bye

marino
Tomas_2
Occasional Advisor

Hello. Thank you. But still having problems, some times the drive works fine, and some times it just hangs the Windows NT, I have been unable to run the HP tools. I don??t know if the drive it??s not working.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Out of curiosity, we purchased a SCSI SIIG AP40 card, for our tool test suite.

We had no problem running L&TT on a DAT40 using this card in NT4. Our test tech mentioned that he needed to get the driver for NT4 from the SIIG website, but otherwise had no problems.

We installed this in an HP Kayak XA (desktop) machine.

So, with the right driver, it all seems to work (for us). We were also using NT SP6a (not 4).

Your symptoms still sound like a possible cable/bent-bin/termination issue, or either a bad card or bad drive.
Tomas_2
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for all your responses, but still it??s not working.

I tried Windows XP, it seems that every thing it??s ok, The Scsi Card it recognized by the system as a:
Advantsys 3550 Ultra Wide Scsi Host Adapter, and also the HP DAT40, when I run the HP Library Tools I received a message. It could not be find the correct NT Miniport

You think that the DAT40 it`s not working.