1748201 Members
2828 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Performance problems of Autoloader 1/9 and rp7410

SOLVED
Go to solution

Performance problems of Autoloader 1/9 and rp7410

We have installed an Autoloader 1/9 with an rp7410 HP9000 server and have received an error in the syslog, it indicates a performance problem with the interfase of the Library. The message indicates that the data transfer speed will be 5 MB/seg and the normal
transfer must be 15 MB/seg.

It looks like a cabling or interfase compatibility problem and i don't know
how to solve it.

The technology is a way to have a better life
7 REPLIES 7
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

5mb/s looks like SE bus, not LVD. Do you have any other devices connected to the bus?
Anyway, if you'll install HP LTT from http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html , generate support ticket and attach it to your next reply I will be able to check everything
Eugeny
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Even if you connected your 1/9 to a LVD controller, if you connect a SE device on the same bus (like a DDS drive, for example), then the bus will default to SE, and your drive in the autoloader won't be happy at all.

Make sure you've connected your 1/9 to an LVD or HVD controller (depending on your autoloader). The A5149A is an LVD controller; the A4800A is an HVD controller. The rp7410's built-in controller is LVD as well.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

As indicated in other messages this usually implies an LVD bus with a single ended device attached somewhere on the bus.

If your autoloader has LVD drives it is really easy to check the negotiated transfer rate. Installed the LTT tool referenced above. Run the tool and select the autoloader then get a support ticket. You can view the support ticket and expand the drive information and the "Device Analysis" section for the drive will tell you what the negotiated transfer rate is.

You can also look at the back of you Autoloader and if the SCSI bus is running in SE mode the LED between the connectors will be blinking.

Hello

Thanks for your response !!!

As you suggested i used the LTT and
generated a support ticket (see attached)

The Autoloader is connected to the rp7410's built-in controller in the external port. We have connected one DVD in the internal port (i don't know if this will cause the problem).

Also i ran a Test Device Speed and the results that it reports are excellent (maybe the system recovers the transfer rate).

I will appreciate your comments and suggestions

Best Regards

Alexander
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

It looks like the transfer speed of the tape library is normal, i ran the LTT and the SCSI transfer rate was 80MB/sec (wide).

The warning message only appears one time in the syslog after the server boot.

The tape library has the latest firmware version installed (Using LTT).

It is possible that occurs a speed synchronization between the host adapter (ultra 160) and the the tape library speed (80MB.

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

You're right. Go to PDC and there's command called 'SCSI'. Using this command you can set up bus speed. Try it. But I think the problem is more probable lies in SCSI cable or bus termination
Eugeny