6298 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem w/ SureStore dat40e

CA1093689
Occasional Contributor

Problem w/ SureStore dat40e

Hi all,

I'm building a W2K domain - have W2K Advanced Server set up as a DC. For backup, I have CA's BrightStor ArcServe v9 installed on the DC. The tape device is a HP SureStore dat40e.

I'm having some problems with this device and I'm sure where the problem lies - BrightStor recognizes that the drive is attched, but won't let me assign it as a library device.

The Device Wizard shows the tape drive, but shows the media as "OFFLINE". To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with the device (1st time ever used) and Windowsd sees the device in the Hardware Manager.

Any suggestions? Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem w/ SureStore dat40e

Ed, a couple of possibilities: WIndows 2000 Removable Stotrage Manager is probably enabled in Services. Stop this service so BrightsStor can load it's own driver. Second, download Library and Tape Tools diagnostic from here to test the drive. Again Stop the RSM service and also stop the services for BrightStor before running LTT.
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1093689
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but no luck - the actual error message (from within the LTT) reads:

"An error occurred while the diagnostic function was started for the selected device. See the event log for details (accessible via the 'File' menu)."

This error occurs every time I click on the tape drive's icon (it's blue) as it shows up in the left pane of the LTT.

Some additional information - this tape drive is connected to the W2K Server on Channel 2 of a MegaRAID Elite 1600 SCSI controller. I tried to move it to Channel 1, but the drive doesn't show up. The SCSI ID is set to 3 (default) and I don't see anything else with an ID of 3.

Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Ed,

In general, the embedded raid controllers are not supported for tape devices (although there are a few exceptions for certain proliant smart array controllers).

So, it could be that it won't work on your raid controller. A preferable solution would be something like a 2940UW or 29160 Adaptec HBA.

If you can send the EventLog.ltt file in the LTT logs folder to ltt_team@hp.com, we can look to see what kind of errors are occuring when LTT is run.
The journey IS the reward.
CA1093689
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply - the Elite 1600 doesn't appear to be an "embedded" controller - it's a PCI card with two channels and is currently supporting RAID 1 and 5 hard disk arrays. It has 2 external connectors that are supposedly designed for external SCSI devices like tape drives although so far I'm less than impressed :).

I have sent the event log from the LTT to the email address that you specified (sent it before I posted the original message). Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
CA1034063
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I agree with David, you should try to use a dedicated SCSI card for your tape. That because your existing SCSI or RAID controller might "think" that the tape drive is part of RAID HDD or any "active " devices, hence causes the conflict (off-line) you described.

Also, have you tried to used device auto configuration for for tape libraries under device config. wizard?

Regards,
@@,?
"You should be working"
CA713937
Honored Contributor

> Thanks for the quick reply - the Elite 1600 doesn't appear to be an "embedded" controller - it's a PCI card with two channels and is currently supporting RAID 1 and 5 hard disk arrays.

Ok, my bad. I should have said embedded SCSI controllers AND raid contollers (embedded or PCI) are generally not supported...
CA713937
Honored Contributor

> I have sent the event log from the LTT to the email address that you specified (sent it before I posted the original message). Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

You had two replies - one from the LTT team (not knowing the ITRC forum context), and another from me checking the mailbox in the evening.

The raid card is using the 'mraid2k', and that driver is failing on fairly simple commands (e.g. inquiry) to the drive with "An unexpected Win32 error occurred".

You will need to get a supported SCSI HBA such as a 2944UW or *9160.

CA1093689
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help, I'll look into my options.