4458 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with Ultrium P# C9572CB

Ismo Utriainen
Occasional Advisor

Problem with Ultrium P# C9572CB

Well we bought one about half year ago.

First one work well about month, after that it start to fail randomly.

We get second and it work well about mont and after that it ....

So i thought it must be problem on server, i disabled everything wich is not needed, integrated scsi adabters, NICs etc

After that it works well about a month and after that it start to fail randomly, "loading media"

We changed a server, after that it work well about month and after that....

Now it work this way, I boot server and ultrium every morning, if I don't ... backup fails, "loading media" 9hours

We have Intel based server (mobo shg2), adaptec ultra 160 scsi, and veritas backupexec

Os is windows 2000 server and backupexec is 8.6

There is no errors in event viewer, selftest goes well.
12 REPLIES 12
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Have you tried HP LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html ? Try it, upgrade firmware to the latest, generate support ticket for libary and look into it.
Question: could it be a case if library and drive are overheating? Are you cooling them enough?
Attach this support ticket zipped to your next reply
Eugeny
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Did you have so error in the control panel or did you get just the message in your backup application?

any errors in the System Event log from W2K?
Ismo Utriainen
Occasional Advisor

NO errors at all, anywhere.

I've send support tickets to hp helpdesk and no help.

Everything seems to be fine

Overheating cant be a problem it's real server room, I in finland and here is winter now.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
if you do not have errors in the LCD display, and in the support ticket, you do not have an hardware error
if you do not have errors logged in the system event log, you do not have scsi tiem out isssue
So I suspect that you can have some trouble with your backup shedule, and with the tape pool, It may be that sw is waiting to load a tape that is not available or that is write protected or protected by the software policy, like "protected for 10 day for ovewrite"
Ismo Utriainen
Occasional Advisor

There isn't overwrite protecson.

I wondering how hardware changes makes it work for about month and then suddenly to stop workin, and then more hardware changes and workin about a month,,,

Five times... first change Ultrium, second disabling MOBO integrated stuff, third changing scsi adapter, fourth changing scsi adapter from 64-bit PCI to 32-bit PCI, get everything on server side new.

Offcourse veritas is intalled several times.
Ismo Utriainen
Occasional Advisor

Here is a support ticket
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The support ticket you posted is pretty much empty. No indication of any drive issues at all, but also not much information. For a support ticket to be really useful it needs to be pulled after a significant amount of data has been transferred since the last power-cycle and it should be taken with the tape still in the drive.

I don't see anything to indicate that there is a problem with the drive. Please post details about exactly how the failures occur. Where do you get the error message? What is the error message? You could also post a saved copy of the NT event log and we could take a look and see if there is anything interesting in it.
Ismo Utriainen
Occasional Advisor

Well there is no errors, only message is "loading media", 7 hours.

Ticket has made tape in drive.
Ismo Utriainen
Occasional Advisor

There is no errors on event log either, only thing is, that exchange 2000 thing, it says that it can be ignored if there is no exchange 2000, we have exchange 5.5.

It's because veritas exchange agent.