Problems installing HP SureStore E Tape Library 20/700

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Egle
Occasional Advisor

Problems installing HP SureStore E Tape Library 20/700

Hi!
Thanks for trying help me.

I have problems setting up our Backup system.

Here my installation is described:

Robotics of the (A5597A)HP SureStore E Tape Library 20/700, LTO drive 1, LTO drive 2 and DLT 8000 are connected independently in (A4688)HP SureStore E Bridge FC 4/1 HV's four SCSI buses (Bus0,Bus1,Bus2,Bus3). At the other side of bridge is FiberChanel multi-mode port connected to the FC port on (A3724)HP SureStore E Hub model L10. This hub has LongWave port which is connected through single mode fiber channel cable with the same (A3724 too) hub in other office of our organization. HUB in second office is connected through HP Fiber Channel Mass Storage Adapter to HP D Class server also. This server has HP-UX 11.00 system and HP OpenView Ombiback II 40 backup software installed.
Nice Hewlett-Packard solution.

Here is what I have done:
1) Fiber-SCSI bridge finds all needed SCSI devices, detects link up on FC port and sees other-side FC device (FC adapter in server).
2) All four Links on two HP hubs ar up.
3) Link on server adapter is up.
4) my "ioscan" result:
--------------------------------
10/12.8.0.255.1.9.0 autoch HP A5597A
10/12.8.0.255.1.9.1 tape HP Ultrium 1-SCSI
10/12.8.0.255.1.9.2 tape HP Ultrium 1-SCSI
10/12.8.0.255.1.9.3 tape QUANTUM DLT8000
10/12.8.0.255.1.9.4 ctl HP A4688A
i mean all four SCSI devices are succesfully detected on server.
5) I have tryed all manuals, instructions and hints I found in my Office and internet.
6) I have configured Omniback II 4.0 to use one StorageTek ACS library with two LTO-Ultrium drive (it is not necessary to use DLT drive now).

Here are my problems.
When I try to query library, Silo Query is created and never closed forewer. Until I close it by myself. There is text displayed as output:
[Normal] From: UMA-ACS@. "libname" Time: **
STARTING Media Agent "bkp-lib"
This query hangs.
The same thing happen when I try to activate "Enter" on library's Slots.

Other problem I have when I try to scan drives but let's resolve the first. Maybe this will help me to resolve other.

I am asking you to provide help, hints and other information related to my problem or my kind of installation (through FiberChanel) if it is possible.

If your help depends on more specific questions about my system I will answer them.

Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Problems installing HP SureStore E Tape Library 20/700

Hi,

One of the first things you will need to
change is the type of library you have
congigured in OB. The correct selection is
a SCSI-II Tape library. I am not sure how
you can get the robot within OmniBack to
deal with the different type of drives
(LTO and DLT) but that presents a challenge.

Have a look at this link for information
on your starting point. Post any further
questions you wish.....

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x55e2f715edc6d5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

HTH
-Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems installing HP SureStore E Tape Library 20/700

A note about Mr. Tully's comment;

The Drives are configured from the library with a drive type (I believe for targeting purposes). The cartridges and drives are handled by Pools and device definition in Omniback.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown