New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems upgrading firmware on LTO3 drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
erics_1
Honored Contributor

Problems upgrading firmware on LTO3 drive

All,

We've recently received several MSL6060 libraries with LTO3 drives. All of the libraries and drives have current firmware except for one drive which appears to not have HP firmware installed. I've installed the latest LTT to verify firmware status. Here's what I get from my problem drive:

Product ID : Ultrium 3-SCSI
Drive Technology : LTO
Mech. Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxxx
Firmware Rev : G54W/Thinstor Plus

LTT won't upgrade the firmware because it can't find firmware to upgrade. Is there a way to wipe out what's on there now and install the HP firmware?

Thanks,
Eric
7 REPLIES 7
Ronny_7
Regular Advisor

Hi Eric,

Are you trying to update the drive's firmware from G54W to G63W?

If yes, you need to download the firmware to perform this.

You may download the firmware bundle from this link (select your operating system),

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3310194тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316040&taskId=135

Regards
erics_1
Honored Contributor

I've already upgraded LTT to the latest version and pulled the latest HP firmware for the drive. The problem is that 'Thinstor Plus' is not HP firmware. LTT doesn't know anything about it and thus has no upgrade suggestions. Is there a way to wipe out the firmware on the drive and then put HP firmware on it? Am I better off just getting the drive swapped out with one that has HP firmware already?

Thanks,
Eric
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Eric, if this is a brand new library, I suggest you to contact your reseller, and ask him to replace this drive because you will not be able to solve the problem
There is no way to change the personality of a LTO drive on the field.
There is no way to use a LTO from a different vendor or with a different personality in a HP library.
I think the reseller is the only way to go

Marino
erics_1
Honored Contributor

Marino,

Thanks for the info. I told the vendor yesterday that it'd most likely need to be replaced. Thought I'd throw it out here first though.

Regards,
Eric
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

There is no question that is the wrong drive for an MSL6060. That is an HP automation drive but that drive belongs in a 1/8 autoloader. The autoloader firmware would download to that drive but that drive shouldn't be in an MSL6060.

If you got that drive from an HP authorized source can you send an email to ltt_team@hp.com with information on where you got the drive? Mention that I requested the email.
erics_1
Honored Contributor

Curtis,

Thanks for the additional info. We've already sent the drive back and received a replacement.

Regards,
Eric
erics_1
Honored Contributor

Firmware on drive was incompatible with the library.